THE FORTRESS OF KAUNAS: HISTORY PRESENT SITUATION AND CONVERSION CHALLENGES
This article presents an overview of the history of the Kaunas Fortress, the construction of particular fortress objects, its intended use from the end of the ninth century up to the present, as well as information about the current condition of the Kaunas Fortress complex. Focus is placed on the reasons and consequences of the uniqueness of the Kaunas Fortress, and the problems and challenges related to the preservation of the unique object of fortification and its adaptation to the needs of the public. The article also contains information on the research related to the Kaunas Fortress and the conversion projects currently pending.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barkauskas, V., Miskinis, A., and Steponaityte, N. (1992) Research of Kaunas Fortress, Evaluation of its Value and Protection Status, and Suggestions for Renovation and Use, vol. 1, Technical Report SA.07.11.89.02, Ministry of Construction and Urbanism, Institute of Architecture and Construction, Kaunas, Lithuania.Google Scholar
- Česonis, G. (2004) Kaunas Fortress, Internet site, http://tvirtove.kaunas.lt/en, accessed 14/02/2006.Google Scholar
- CONVERNET (2005) Conversion Handbook for the Baltic Sea Region, Prepared and published while implementing of BSR INTERREG III B project “Development of a Central and Eastern European Conversion Network”.Google Scholar
- Matulis, A. (1992) Suggested Principles for Using of Buildings and Structures of Kaunas Fortress, Taura Cultural Association.Google Scholar
- Steponaitytė, N. (2001) The Kaunas Fortress: Design and Construction, Town Planning and Architecture XXV, 150–163.Google Scholar
- Steponaitytė, N. (2003) Influence of Kaunas Fortress on the Expansion of the City, Town Planning and Architecture XXVII, 64–75.Google Scholar
- Steponaitytė, N. and Česonis, G. (2004) Kaunas Fortress, Internet site, http://tvirtove. kaunas.lt/en, accessed 14/02/2006.Google Scholar
- Steponaitytė, N., Mirinas, S., and Navasaitis, M. (1996) Evaluation of Vegetation in first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eigth, ninth Forts and Fortification of Linkuva, and Suggestions for Preservation and Management, Vol. 1, Kaunas, Lithuania, .Google Scholar
- Strazdas, R. (2004) Conversion of Military Forts of Kaunas Historic Fortress, Material for the second CONVERNET Partner meeting in Stockholm.Google Scholar