Part of the NATO Science Series book series (NAII, volume 238)
OPTICS OF ERYTHROCYTES
We present optical methods to study erythrocytes and consider selected models to compute their light scattering.
KeywordsFinite Difference Time Domain Discrete Dipole Approximation Biconcave Disk Discrete Source Method Mature RBCs
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.P. Mazeron and S. Muller, Light scattering by ellipsoids in a physical optics approximation, Appl. Opt. 35, (1996).Google Scholar
- 15.M. A. Yurkin, K. A. Semyanov, P. A. Tarasov, A. V. Chernyshev, A. G. Hoekstra, and V. P. Maltsev, Experimental and theoretical study of light scattering by individual mature red blood cells with scanning flow cytometry and discrete dipole approximation, Appl. Opt. 44, 5249–5256 (2005).CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- 16.Y. C. Fung, W. C. Tsang, and P. Patitucci, High-resolution data on the geometry of red blood cells, Biorheology 18, 369–385 (1981).Google Scholar
- 19.N. Mohandas, Y. R. Kim, D. H. Tycko, J. Orlik, J. Wyatt, and W. Groner, Accurate and independent measurement of volume and hemoglobin concentration of individual red cells by laser light scattering, Blood 68, 506–513 (1986).Google Scholar
- 20.V. P. Maltsev and K. A. Semyanov, Characterization of bioparticles from light scattering (Vista Science Press, Netherlands, 2004).Google Scholar
- 21.B. H. Davis, Diagnostic utility of red cell flow cytometric analysis, Clin. Lab Med. 21, 829–840 (2001).Google Scholar
- 22.L. K. Jennings, L. K. Brown, and M. E. Dockter, Quantitation of protein 3 content of circulating erythrocytes at the single-cell level, Blood 65, 1256–1262 (1985).Google Scholar
- 28.M. D. Sass, Effect of ammonium chloride on osmotic behavior of red cells in nonelectrolytes, Am. J. Physiol 236, C238-C243 (1979).Google Scholar
- 30.K. A. Semyanov K. A. and P. A. Tarasov, Measurement of mammalian erythrocyte indices from light scattering with scanning flow cytometer, in Diagnostic Optical Spectroscopy in Biomedicine II. Edited by Wagnieres, Georges A. Proceedings of the SPIE, 5141, 106–113(2003).Google Scholar
- 32.P. A. Tarasov, Study of characteristic parameters of population of human erythrocytes using dynamic flow cytometry, [in Russian], PhD thesis, Krasnoyarsk, 2005.Google Scholar
- 34.http://www.giss.nasa.gov/~crmim/Google Scholar
© Springer 2007