New Directions In Question Answering
Next generation question answering systems are challenged on many fronts including but not limited to massive, heterogeneous and sometimes streaming collections, diverse and challenging users, and the need to be sensitive to context, ambiguity, and even deception. This chapter describes new directions in question answering (QA) including enhanced question processing, source selection, document retrieval, answer determination, and answer presentation generation. We consider important directions such as answering questions in context (e.g., previous queries, day or time, the data, the task, location of the interactive device), scenario based QA, event and temporal QA, spatial QA, opinionoid QA, multimodal QA, multilingual QA, user centered and collaborative QA, explanation, interactive QA, QA reuse, and novel architectures for QA. The chapter concludes by outlining a roadmap of the future of question answering, articulating necessary resources for, impediments to, and planned or possible future capabilities.
KeywordsAverage Precision Question Answering Question Answering System Rhetorical Structure Clarity Score
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AQUAINT] ARDA AQUAINT Program - http://www.ic-arda.org/InfoExploit/aquaint/index.html.
- [ARDA] ARDA QA Roadmap http://www.nlpir.nist.gov/projects/duc/papers/qa.Roadmap-paper_v2.doc Bos, J. and Gabsdil, M. 2000. “First-Order Inference and the Interpretation of Questions and Answers”, Proceedings of Gotelog 2000, Goteborg, Sweden, pages 43-50.
- Breck, E. J., Burger, J. D., Ferro, L., Hirschman, L., House, D., Light, M., Mani, I. 2000. How to Evaluate your Question Answering Systems Every Day … and Still Get Real Work Done. Proceedings of LREC-2000, Second International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation 1495-1500. Las Palmas, Spain.Google Scholar
- Burger, J. D., Ferro, L., Greiff, W., Henderson, J., Light, M., and Mardis, S. 2003. MITRE’s Qanda at TREC-11” Proceedings of the 11th Text Retrieval Conference.Google Scholar
- Cardie, C., Wiebe, J., Wilson, T. and Litman, D. 2003. Combining Low-Level and Summary Representations of Opinions for Multi-Perspective Question Answering. Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 20-27.Google Scholar
- Chu-Carroll, J., Prager, J., Welty, C., Czuba, K., Ferrucci, D. A Multi-Strategy and Multi-Source Approach to Question Answering. In the Eleventh Text Retrieval Conference (TREC 2002), Gaithersburg, Maryland, November 2002. http://trec.nist.gov/pubs/trec11/papers/ibm.prager.pdf.
- Croft, B. and Cronen-Townsend, S. 2003 Predicting Question Quality. AQUAINT 18 Month meeting, San Diego, CA.Google Scholar
- Diekema, A. R., Yilmazel, O., Chen, J., Harwell, S., He, L., and Liddy. E. D. 2003. What do You Mean? Finding Answers to Complex Questions. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 87-93.Google Scholar
- Dragomir, R., Fan, W., Qi, H., and Grewal, A. 2002. “Probabilistic Question Answering on the Web”, Proceedings, 11th International WWW Conference (Honolulu, Hawaii, May 2002).Google Scholar
- Eichman, D. 2003. Issues in Extraction and Categorization for Question Answering. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 107-115.Google Scholar
- Fukumoto, J., Kato, T., and Masui, F. 2003. Question Answering Challenge (QAC-1) An Evaluation of Question Answering Tasks at the NTCIR Workshop 3. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 122-133.Google Scholar
- Gish, H., Van Sciver, J. and Hain, R. R. 2003. Question Answering from Spontaneous Speech Data (Answer Spotting). AQUAINT 18 month review.Google Scholar
- Ittycheriah, A., Latto, A., Light, M., and McCracken, N. 2003. A Classification Scheme and Corpus for Reuse. From ARDA NRRC Workshop on Reuse in Question Answering.Google Scholar
- Katz, B., Lin, J., Stauffer, C. and Grimson, E. 2003. Answering Questions about Moving Objects in Videos. 2003. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 145-152.Google Scholar
- Liddy, L. 2003. ARDA NRRC Workshop on Scenario Based Question Answering.Google Scholar
- Light, M. and Maybury, M. 2002. Personalized Multimedia Information Access: Ask Questions, Get Personalized Answers. Communications of the ACM 45(5): 54-59. In Brusilovsky, P. and Maybury, M. (eds). Special Section on The Adaptive Web.Google Scholar
- Light, M., Ittycheriah, A., Latto, A., and McCracken, N. 2003. Reuse in Question Answering: A Preliminary Study. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. May 24-26. pp. 78-86.Google Scholar
- Magnini, B., Negri, M., Prevete, R. and Tanev. H. 2001. Multilingual Question/Answering: The Diogene System. Proceedings of the Tenth Text Retrieval Conference (TREC 10). Gaithersburg, MD. 2001. http://trec.nist.gov/pubs/trec10/papers/IrstQA.pdf
- Mardis, S. and Burger, J. 2002. Qanda and the Catalyst Architecture. In AAAI Spring Symposium on Mining Answers from Text and Knowledge Bases. Stanford, CA.Google Scholar
- Maybury, M. T., Sparck Jones, K. Voorhees, E., Harabagiu, S., Liddy, L., and Prange, J. Tuesday May 28, 2002. Workshop on Strategy and Resources for Question Answering in conjunction with the Third International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC). Palacio de Congreso de Canarias, Canary Islands, Spain.Google Scholar
- Maybury, M. T., Day, D. Prange, J., Pusteyovsky, J. and Wiebe, J. (eds.) 2003 AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26.Google Scholar
- Maybury, M. T., forthcoming. New Directions in Question Answering. AAAI/MIT Press.Google Scholar
- McGuiness, D. 2003. Knowledge Representation for Question Answering. In AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. May 24-26. pp. 75-77.Google Scholar
- [NRRC] ARDA NRRC Summer 2002 workshops on temporal, multiple perspective, and reuse in question answering - nrrc.mitre.org.Google Scholar
- Prange, J. 2003. AQUAINT Program Overview. AQUAINT 18 Month PI Meeting. San Diego, CA. 10-12 June.Google Scholar
- Small, S., Strzalkowski, T., and Ting, L. 2003. HITIQA: A Data Driven Approach to Interactive Question Answering. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 94-104.Google Scholar
- Smeaton, A. and Qigley, I. 1996. Experiments on using semantic distances between words in image caption retrieval. Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR-96) ACM Press, NewYork, 1996, pp. 174-180.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smeaton, A. Over, P. and Taban, R. The TREC-2001 video track report. In Proceedings of the Tenth Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2001).Google Scholar
- [TREC] Text Retrieval and Evaluation Conference. QA Collections trec.nist.gov/data/qa.html.Google Scholar
- Welty, C., Prager, J., Chu-Carroll, J., and Ferrucci, D. 2003. Hybridization in QA. AAAI SpringGoogle Scholar
- Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 116-121.Google Scholar
- Lowrance, J. D., Harrison, I. W., and Rodriguez, A. C. 2000. Structured Argumentation for Analysis, in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Systems Research, Informatics, and Cybernetics: Focus Symposia on Advances in Computer-Based and Web-Based Collaborative Systems, Baden-Baden, Germany, pp. 47-57, Aug 2000.Google Scholar
- Wiebe, J. Breck, E., Buckley, C., Cardie, C. Davis, P., Fraser, B., Litman, D., Pierce, D., Riloff, E., Wilson, T., David Day, D., and Maybury, M. 2003. Recognizing and Organizing Opinions Expressed in the World Press. AAAI Spring Symposium on New Directions in Question Answering. Stanford, CA. May 24-26. pp. 12-19.Google Scholar