3D Core-Collapse Supernova Calculations
Recent observations of the polarization of the light emitted by supernova explo-sions indicate that there are large deviations from spherical symmetry in the very heart of these explosions. Asymmetries may well play a key role in the explosion mechanism. So far there is no convincing theoretical explanation for these observations. In this work the impact of angular momentum on the core collapse which is possibly the origin of large asymmetries is studied. We introduce a new approach to the supernova problem: a three dimensional test particle based simulation. The infall phase of the collapse of a typical iron core is investigated using numerical calculations. Our main focus is the impact of angular momentum. Significant deviations from spherical symmetry are found for rapidly rotating supernova cores.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.R. Wilson, Numerical astrophysics, p. 422, Jones and Bartlett, Boston, 1985.Google Scholar
- R. Buras, M. Rampp, H.-Th. Janka, and K. Kifonidis, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90 (2003), no. 24, 24 1101.Google Scholar
- K. Langanke, G. Martinez-Pinedo, J.M. Sampaio, D. J. Dean, W.R. Hix, O.E.B. Messer, A. Mezzacappa, M. Liebend~orfer, H.-Th. Janka, and M. Rampp, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90 (2003), no. 24, 24 1102.Google Scholar
- L. Wang and J.C. Wheeler, Sky and Telescope (2002).Google Scholar
- T. Bollenbach and W. Bauer, in “Exotic Clustering”, edited by S. Costa, A. Insolia, and C. Tuve, American Institute of Physics Conference Proceedings, Volume 644 ( Melville, New York, 2002 ), p. 219–232.Google Scholar
- W. Bauer, G.F. Bertsch, W. Gassing, and U. Mosel, Phys. Rev. C 34 (1986), 2127.Google Scholar
- W.H. Press, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling, and B.P. Flannery, Numerical recipes in c, seconded., Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK, 1988.Google Scholar
- Tobias Bollenbach, Numerical study of rotating core collapse supernovae, Master’s thesis, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 2002.Google Scholar
- J.M. Lattimer and F.D. Swesty, http://www.ess.sunysb.edu/dswesty/lseos.html, 1993.
- F.X. Timmes, http://www.flash.uchicago.edu/fxt/code pages/eos.shtml, 2000.
- J. Cooperstein, Nucl. Phys. A 438 (1985), 722–739.Google Scholar
- W. Bauer, http://www.mocha.phys.washington.edu/int talk/WorkShops/RIA/People/Bauer.W/Bauer.- RIA.pdf (2004).
- G. Kortemeyer, F. Daffin, and W. Bauer, Phys. Lett. B374, 25 (1996).Google Scholar