Global Environments and Rural Communities: Enhancing Community Conservation Initiatives in East Africa
When Hans Meyer stood on the summit of East Africa’s legendary Mount Kilimanjaro in 1889 he most likely didn’t consider the possibility that his Chagga guide, Yohani Kinyala Lauwo, would still be alive to participate in the one-hundredth anniversary of this initial ascent. Yet amazingly Lauwo attended the celebration seven years before his death in 1996 at age 125.
KeywordsGlobal Position System Community Conservation Integrate Conservation Park Boundary Global Position System Technology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Green, M. and J. Paine. 1997. State of the World’s Protected Areas at the End of the Twentieth Century. Paper presented at the IUCN World Commission on Protected Areas on “Protected Areas in the 21st Century: From Islands to Networks“ Albany, Australia: 24–29 November.Google Scholar
- Hughes, D. 1996. When Parks Encroach Upon People: Expanding National Parks in the Rusitu Valley, Zimbabwe. Cultural Survival Quarterly Spring: 39–40.Google Scholar
- Jensen, J. 2000. Remote Sensing of the Environment: An Earth Resource Perspective. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- KINAPA (Kilimanjaro National Park). 1999. Community Conservation Service Strategic Action Plan, February.Google Scholar
- Little, P. 1994. The link Between Local Participation and Improved Conservation: A Review of Issues and Experiences. In D. Western and P. Wright, eds. Natural Connection: Perspectives in Community-Based Conservation, 347–372. Washington D.C.: Island Press.Google Scholar
- Neumann, R. 1998. Imposing Wilderness: Struggles over Livelihood and Nature Preservation in Africa. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Pimbert, M. and J. Pretty. 1997. Parks, People and Professionals: Putting `Participation’ into Protected Area Management in Social Change and Conservation. In K. Ghimire and M. Pimbert, eds. Environmental Politics and Impacts of National Parks and Protected Areas, 297–332. London: Earthscan Publications Limited.Google Scholar
- TANAPA (Tanzania National Park Authority). 2000. Strategic Action Plan for Community Conservation Services (Draft Report).Google Scholar