Advertisement

Equatorial Guinea

  • Barry Turner
Part of the The Statesman’s Yearbook book series (SYBK)

Abstract

Equatorial Guinea consists of the island of Bioko, for centuries called Fernando Pó; other smaller islands and the mainland territory of Rio Muni. Fernando Pó was named after the Portuguese navigator Fernão do Pó. The island was ruled for three centuries by Portugal until 1778 when it was ceded to Spain. For some decades after taking possession, Spain did not have a strong presence. Britain established a naval base at Clarence (later Santa Isabel), which was central to the suppression of slave trading over a wide area. Spain asserted its rule from the 1840s when cocoa was cultivated on European-owned plantations using imported African labour. This traffic led to an international scandal in 1930 when Liberians were found to be held in virtual slavery. Later many Nigerians were employed, often in poor conditions.

Keywords

Presidential Election Opposition Parti Parliamentary Election Deputy Prime Minister Indigenous Inhabitant 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Further reading

  1. Liniger-Goumaz, M., Guinea Ecuatorial: Bibliografía General. 1974–91.Google Scholar
  2. Liniger-Goumaz, M., Small is Not Always Beautiful: The Story of Equatorial Guinea. 1988.Google Scholar
  3. Liniger-Goumaz, M., Historical Dictionary of Equatorial Guinea. 2000Google Scholar
  4. Molino, A. M. del, La Ciudad de Clarence. 1994Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited 2012

Authors and Affiliations

  • Barry Turner

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations