Kyiv (formerly Kiev) was the centre of the Rus principality in the 11th and 12th centuries and is still known as the Mother of Russian cities. The western Ukraine principality of Galicia was annexed by Poland in the 14th century. At about the same time, Kyiv and the Ukrainian principality of Volhynia were conquered by Lithuania before being absorbed by Poland. Poland, however, could not subjugate the Ukrainian cossacks, who allied themselves with Russia. Ukraine, except for Galicia (part of the Austrian Empire, 1772–1919), was incorporated into the Russian Empire after the second partition of Poland in 1793.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Encyclopedia of Ukraine, 5 vols. Toronto, 1984–93Google Scholar
- Aslund, Anders, Revolution in Orange: The Origins of Ukraine’s Democratic Breakthrough. Carnegie Endowment for International Peace Press, Washington, D.C., 2006Google Scholar
- D’Anieri, Paul, Economic Interdependence in Ukrainian-Russian Relations. State Univ. of New York Press, 2000.— Understanding Ukrainian Politics: Power, Politics and Institutional Design. M. E. Sharpe, New York, 2006Google Scholar
- Kuzio, Taras, Kravchuk, Robert and D’Anieri, Paul, State and Institution Building in Ukraine. St Martin’s Press, New York, 2000Google Scholar
- Lieven, Anatol, Ukraine and Russia: A Fraternal Rivalry. United States Institute of Peace Press, 2000Google Scholar
- Magocsi, P. R., A History of Ukraine. Toronto Univ. Press, 1997Google Scholar
- Motyl, A. J., Dilemmas of Independence: Ukraine after Totalitarianism. New York, 1993Google Scholar
- Nahaylo, B., Ukrainian Resurgence. 2nd ed. Univ. of Toronto Press, 2000Google Scholar
- Reid, A., Borderland: A Journey Through the History of Ukraine. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London, 1997Google Scholar
- Wilson, Andrew, The Ukrainians: Unexpected Nation. Yale University Press, 2000.— Ukraine’s Orange Revolution. Yale University Press, 2006Google Scholar
- National Statistical Office: State Committee of Statistics of Ukraine, 3 Shota Rustavely St., Kyiv 01023.Google Scholar
- Website: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua