Hunter-gatherers lived in Peru from at least 9000 BC. Irrigation canals discovered recently in the Andean foothills of northern Peru date farming from around 3400 BC. The Chavin culture in central and northern Peru between 900 BC and 200 BC left monumental temples and intricate artwork across a wide area. The Paracas culture emerged on the southern coast in around 300 BC and evolved into the Nazca culture, famed for its exquisite textiles. Further north, the coastal Moche culture flourished between around 100 BC and 700 AD, producing distinctive metalwork and pottery. The following centuries saw the rise of inland, Andean cultures and powerful city states such as Chancay, Sipan and Cajamarca.
KeywordsPresidential Election Commodity Price Congressional Election Corruption Scandal Andean Foothill
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática.—Anuario Estadistico del Perú.—Perú: Compendio Estadístico. Annual.—Boletin de Estadistica Peruana. QuarterlyGoogle Scholar
- Banco Central de Reserva. Monthly Bulletin.—Renta Nacional del Peru. Annual, LimaGoogle Scholar
- Cameron, M. A., Democracy and Authoritarianism in Peru: Political Coalitions and Social Change. London, 1995Google Scholar
- Carrion, Julio F., The Fujimori Legacy: The Rise of Electoral Authoritarianism in Peru. Penn State Univ. Press, 2006Google Scholar
- Daeschner, J., The War of the End of Democracy: Mario Vargas Llosa vs. Alberto Fujimori. Lima, 1993Google Scholar
- Gorriti, Gustavo, (trans. Robin Kirk) The Shining Path: A History of the Millenarian War in Peru. Univ. of North Carolina Press, 1999Google Scholar
- Starn, Orin, The Peru Reader: History, Culture, Politics. Duke Univ. Press, Durham, North Carolina, 2005Google Scholar
- Strong, S., Shining Path. London, 1993Google Scholar
- Vargas Llosa, A., The Madness of Things Peruvian: Democracy under Siege. Brunswick (NJ), 1994Google Scholar
- National Statistical Office: Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática, Av. Gral. Garzón 654–658, Jesus Maria, Lima.Google Scholar
- Website (Spanish only): http://www.inei.gob.pe