Radiating Valleys in Glaciated Lands
Among the glacially-eroded landforms widely displayed in Scotland three have impressed me in the field as being particularly significant. First are the features known to continental workers as cirques or karen but in Britain by the Scottish word corrie. Second are the glacial troughs, especially those in which true rock basins have been developed. The third group comprise those areas, mostly lowland or low plateau but in some cases including the flanks and even the summits of mountains, in which the preglacial character of the surface has been so transformed that we may speak of the present forms as being ice-moulded. Fields of roches moutonnées obviously fall in this category.
KeywordsLake District Glacial Erosion Valley System English Lake District Maximum Glaciation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Benson, W. N. (1935) ‘Notes on the geographical features of south-western New Zealand’, Geogr. J., Lxxxvl.Google Scholar
- Goodchild, J. G. (1888–9) ‘The history of the Eden and some riversadjacent’, Trans. Cumberland and Westmorland Assocn., xIv.Google Scholar
- LmrroN, D. L. (1940) ‘Some aspects of the evolution of the rivers Earn and Tay’, Scott. geogr. Mag., Lvt esp. p. 74.Google Scholar
- LmrroN, D. L. (1949a) ‘Unglaciated areas in Scandinavia and Great Britain’, Irish Geogr., I I.Google Scholar
- LmrroN, D. L. (1949b) ‘Watershed breaching by ice in Scotland’, Trans. Inst. Br. Geogr., xvII esp. p. 14.Google Scholar
- LmrroN, D. L. (1955) ‘The problem of tors’, Geogr. J., cxxi.Google Scholar
- LmrroN, D. L. (1957) Morphological Contrasts of Eastern and Western Scotland. Memorial Volume to A. G. Ogilvie ( Edinburgh: Nelson).Google Scholar
- Maxx, J. E. (1906) ‘The influence of the geological structure of the English Lakeland upon its present features: A study in physiography’, Q. J. geol. Soc. Lond., Lxii.Google Scholar
- Wright, C. S., and Priestley, R. (1922) ‘Glaciology’, in Results of British (Terra Nova) Antarctic Expedition of 1910–1913 ( London: Harrison ).Google Scholar