Retention of Inferred and Given Word Meanings: Experiments in Incidental Vocabulary Learning
When subjects have to infer or induce the solution of a problem, they will invest more mental effort than when they are given the solution to the problem.
Information that has been attained with more mental effort can later be better retrieved and recalled than information that has been attained with less mental effort.
KeywordsTarget Word Incidental Learning Unknown Word Meaning Test Incidental Learning Task
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bialystok, E. (1983). ‘Inferencing: testing the “Hypothesis-Testing” hypothesis’, in Seliger, H.W. and Long, M.H. (eds), Classroom-Oriented Research in Second-Language Acquisition. Rowley, Mass.: Newbury House, pp. 104–23.Google Scholar
- Hulstijn, J.H. (1989). Experiments with semi-artificial input in secondlanguage acquisition research, in Hammarberg, B. (ed.). Language Learning and Learner Language. Papers from a conference held in Stockholm and Åbo, 17–18 October 1988. Scandinavian Working Papers on Bilingualism (University of Stockholm: Centre for Research on Bilingualism), Vol. 8, pp. 20–40.Google Scholar
- Jacoby, L.L. and Craik, F.I.M. (1979). ‘Effects of elaboration of processing at encoding and retrieval: trace distinctiveness and recovery of initial context’, in Cemak, L.S. and Craik, F.I.M. (eds), Levels of Processing in Human Memory. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum, pp. 1–21.Google Scholar
- Kelly, P. (1989). ‘Guessing: no substitute for systematic learning of lexis’. MS, University of Namur (Belgium).Google Scholar
- Laufer, B. and Sim, D.D. (1985, April). ‘Taking the easy way out: non-use and misuse of clues in EFL reading’, English Teaching Forum, pp. 7–10.Google Scholar
- Nation, P. and Coady, J. (1988). ‘Vocabulary and reading’, in Carter, R. and McCarthy, M.J. (eds), Vocabulary and Language Teaching. London: Longman, pp. 97–110.Google Scholar
- Schouten-van Parreren, C. (1985). Woorden leren in het vreemdetalenonderwijs. Apeldoorn: Van Walraven.Google Scholar
- Schouten-van Parreren, C. (1986). ‘Nieuwe perspectieven op de didactiek van de woordenschatverwerving’, Levende Talen, Vol. 416, pp. 618–25.Google Scholar