Visits to Farringford
I lunched at Farringford. We all helped in wheeling Mrs Tennyson to the top of High Down. Then A. T., the tutor and myself walked to Totland’s Bay, the talk all upon classic metres, of which he is full at present. I am invited for Christmas.
KeywordsClassic Metre Stubble Field Fine Thing Arthur Epic Frightful Dream
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.William Barnes (1801–86), philologist and Dorset dialect poet; he was Rector of Came, near Dorchester, from 1862.Google Scholar
- 6.Sir Henry Taylor (1800–86), author of numerous verse-dramas.Google Scholar
- 7.On Huxley, see p. 109. John Tyndall (1820–93) wrote and lectured widely on scientific topics.Google Scholar
- 11.Emanuel Swedenborg (1688–1772), Swedish philosopher and mystic.Google Scholar
- 14.Edward Burne-Jones (1833–98), painter and designer.Google Scholar