Usability in the Czech Republic
In this paper we give an overview of the development of usability activities in the Czech Republic. We start with the historical background – in terms of general context in which usability issues were born in this country – and then we describe specific usability issues that are typical for the usability community in this country. Special attention is paid to mutual links between research at universities and industrial activities in various companies active in the Czech Republic. There exists a mutual cross-fertilization between these two activities that results in a fruitful cooperation between both sectors. This fact is demonstrated in this paper by several projects that ran in last a few years. Last but not the least the importance of cooperation between research and education at universities has been stressed. In such a way students come in touch with up-to-date research problems and get an opportunity to participate in the leading-edge research in this country.
KeywordsEuropean Union Czech Republic Elderly User Usability Issue Multimodal Interaction
This research has been partially supported by the MSMT under the research program MSM 6840770014.
- Bartneck, C., Hu, J.: Scientometric Analysis of the CHI Proceedings. Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI2009), Boston, pp. 699–708. ACM, NewYork (2009)Google Scholar
- Department of Computer Graphics and Interaction. http://dcgi.felk.cvut.cz/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- ELU project (Enhanced Learning Unlimited). Funded by European Commission within FP6 (IST-4-027866). http://www.elu-project.com/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- i2home – Intuitive Interaction for Everyone with Home Appliances based on Industry Standards). Funded by European Commission within FP6 (IST-033502). http://www.i2home.org/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- MUMMY project (Mobile knowledge management). Funded by EC (IST-2001-37365). http://www.mummy-project.org/ (2009). Accessed 1 Dec 2009
- NaviTerier – indoor navigation system for visually impaired users. http://usability.felk.cvut.cz/naviterier/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- Prague ACM SIGCHI – local SIGCHI chapter. http://www.sigchi.cz/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- SUCESS – Center of Excellence. Joint research project with Sun Microsystems. http://amun.felk.cvut.cz/coe/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- VitalMind project. Funded by European Commission within FP6 (IST-215387). http://www.vitalmind-project.eu/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010
- WUD – World Usability Day. The biggest event dealing with usability in Czech Republic. http://www.wud.cz/ (2010). Accessed 7 Oct 2010