Time-Consistent Fair Water Sharing Agreements
Scarcity of water has become a major issue facing many nations around the world. To improve the efficiency of water usage there has been considerable interest in recent years in trading water. A major issue in trading water rights is the problem of how an allocation system can be designed in perpetuity that also has desirable properties at each point of time. This is an issue of the time consistency of the contract to trade water. In this chapter we develop a model of dynamic recontracting of water rights and study time consistency properties of the resultant contracts using the ideas of Filar and Petrosjan .
Key wordsDynamic cooperative games water sharing agreements time consistency of contracts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burness, H.S. and J.P. Quirk (1979) Appropriative Water Rights and the Efficient Allocation of Resources, The American Economic Review, Vol. 69, pp. 25–37.Google Scholar
- Dementieva, M. (2004) Regularization in Multistage Cooperative Games, PhD Thesis, Jvaskala Studies in Computing no. 42, University of Jyvaskala.Google Scholar
- Freebairn, J. and J. Quiggin (2004) Water Rights for Variable Supplies, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, Murray Darling Program Working Paper:2/M04, School of Economics, The University of Queensland.Google Scholar
- Hendrickx, R. (2004) Cooperation and Allocation, PhD Thesis, CenTeR, University of Tilburg.Google Scholar
- Lahmandi-Ayed, R. and M-S. Matoussi (2002) Long-Term Effects of Water Markets: Investing or Rent-seeking? CERMSEM Universite de Paris I Serie Bleu 2002.11, CERMSEM Universite de Paris I.Google Scholar
- Meinzen-Dick, R.S. and R. Pradhan (2002) Legal Pluralism and Dynamic Property Rights CAPRi Working paper No. 22 CGIAR System Wide Program on Collective Action and Property Rights, International FoodPolicy Research Institute.Google Scholar
- Petrosjan, L.A. (2005) Cooperative Differential Games, in: A. Nowak, K. Szajowski (Eds.) Advances in Dynamic Games: Applications to Economics, Fianance, Optimization and Stochastic Control, Annals of Dynamic Games 7, Birkhäuser.Google Scholar
- Petrosjan, L.A. and N.A. Zenkevich (1996) Game Theory, World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar