Estimating the size of correcting codes using extremal graph problems
Some of the fundamental problems in coding theory can be formulated as extremal graph problems. Finding estimates of the size of correcting codes is important from both theoretical and practical perspectives. We solve the problem of finding the largest correcting codes using previously developed algorithms for optimization problems in graphs. We report new exact solutions and estimates.
KeywordsMaximum independent set graph coloring error-correcting codes coding theory combinatorial optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We would like to thank two anonymous referees for their valuable comments.
- 2.S. Arora and S. Safra, Approximating clique is NP–complete, Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE Symposium on Foundations on Computer Science (1992) (IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, California, 1992), 2–13.Google Scholar
- 3.I. M. Bomze, M. Budinich, P. M. Pardalos and M. Pelillo, The maximum clique problem, in D.-Z. Du and P. M. Pardalos, Eds, Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1999), 1–74.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Butenko, P. M. Pardalos, I. V. Sergienko, V. Shylo and P. Stetsyuk, Finding maximum independent sets in graphs arising from coding theory, Proceedings of the 17th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (ACM Press, New York, 2002), 542–546.Google Scholar
- 9.I. I. Dikin and V. I. Zorkal’tsev, Iterative Solution of Mathematical Programming Problems (Algorithms for the Method of Interior Points) (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1980).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Dongarra, C. Moler, J. Bunch and G. Stewart, Linpack users’ guide, http://www.netlib.org/linpack/index.html, available from the ICTP Library, 1979.
- 19.P. M. Pardalos, T. Mavridou and J. Xue, The graph coloring problem: a bibliographic survey, in D.-Z. Du and P. M. Pardalos, Eds, Handbook of Combinatorial Optimization, Vol. 2 (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1999), 331–395.Google Scholar
- 20.T. R. N. Rao and A. S. Chawla, Asymmetric error codes for some lsi semiconductor memories, Proceedings of the 7th Southeastern Symposium on System Theory (1975) (IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, California, 1975), 170–171.Google Scholar
- 21.I. V. Sergienko, V. P. Shylo and P. I. Stetsyuk, Approximate algorithm for solving the maximum independent set problem, in Computer Mathematics, (V.M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics NAS of Ukraine, Kiev, 2001), 4–20 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 23.V. Shylo and D. Boyarchuk, An algorithm for construction of covering by independent sets, in Computer Mathematics (V.M. Glushkov Institute of Cybernetics NAS of Ukraine, Kiev, 2001), 151–157.Google Scholar
- 24.N. Sloane, Challenge problems: Independent sets in graphs, http://www.research.att.com/njas/doc/graphs.html, 2001.
- 25.N. Sloane, On single–deletion–correcting codes, in K. T. Arasu and A. Suress, Eds, Codes and Designs: Ray–Chaudhuri Festschrift (Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 2002), 273–291.Google Scholar