Design and Implementation of a Hybrid P2P-based Grid Resource Discovery System
Peer-to-peer (P2P) computing is recognized as one of most prominent paradigms to achieve scalability in key components of Grid systems. One of these components is resource discovery, whose duty is to provide system-wide up-to-date information about resources, a task inherently limited in scalability. Unlike typical P2P systems, Grid systems manage not only static resources, but also resources whose characteristics change dynamically over time. To cope with this scenario, recent P2P-based Grid resource discovery systems employ a combination of Distributed Hash Tables (DHTs) to manage static resources, and unstructured (i.e., broadcast-like) search techniques for dynamic resources. In this paper we elaborate on this approach by designing and implementing a Grid resource discovery system that employs a dynamic querying algorithm over a structured DHT-based overlay. The system has been fully implemented and deployed on the Grid'5000 platform for testing and evaluation. The experimental performance results demonstrate the efficiency of the implemented system, both in terms of number of messages and time needed to complete the search.
Keywordsresource discovery peer-to-peer distributed hash tables
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Globus MDS. http://www.globus.org/toolkit/mds.
- D. Talia, P. Trunfio, J. Zeng. Peer-to-Peer Models for Resource Discovery in Large-scale Grids: A Scalable Architecture. VECPAR’06, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2006.Google Scholar
- B. Yang, H. Garcia-Molina. Designing a Super-peer Network. Int. Conf. on Data Engi-neering (ICDE 2003), Bangalore, India, 2003.Google Scholar
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. F. Kaashoek, H. Balakrishnan. Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Service for Internet Applications. ACM SIGCOMM’01, San Diego, USA, 2001.Google Scholar
- Open Chord. http://open-chord.sourceforge.net.
- Grid’5000. http://www.grid5000.fr.
- P. Trunfio, D. Talia, H. Papadakis, P. Fragopoulou, M. Mordacchini, M. Pennanen, K. Popov, V. Vlassov, S. Haridi. Peer-to-Peer resource discovery in Grids: Models and systems. Future Generation Computer Systems, vol. 23, n. 7, 2007.Google Scholar
- Q. Lv, P. Cao, E. Cohen, K. Li, S. Shenker. Search and Replication in Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Networks. Int. Conf. on Supercomputing (SC 2002), Baltimore, USA, 2002.Google Scholar
- C. Gkantsidis, M. Mihail, A. Saberi. Hybrid Search Schemes for Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Networks. IEEE INFOCOM 2005, Miami, USA, 2005.Google Scholar
- D. Tsoumakos, N. Roussopoulos. A Comparison of Peer-to-Peer Search Methods. Int. Workshop on the Web and Databases (WebDB 2003), San Diego, USA, 2003.Google Scholar
- A. Crespo, H. Garcia-Molina. Routing Indices for Peer-to-peer Systems. Int. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS’02), Vienna, Austria, 2002.Google Scholar
- A. Crespo, H. Garcia Molina. Semantic Overlay Networks for P2P Systems. Int. Conf. on Agents and Peer-to-Peer Computing (AP2PC 2004), New York, USA, 2004.Google Scholar
- K. Sripanidkulchai, B. Maggs, H. Zhang. Efficient Content Location using Interest-based Locality in Peer-to-Peer Systems. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, San Franciso, USA, 2003.Google Scholar
- A. A. Fisk. Gnutella Dynamic Query Protocol v0.1. http://www.the-gdf.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dynamic-Querying.
- H. Papadakis, P. Fragopoulou, E. P. Markatos, M. Dikaiakos, A. Lambrinidis. Divide et Impera: Partitioning Unstructured Peer-to-Peer Systems to Improve Resource Location. 2nd CoreGRID Integration Workshop, Krakow, Poland, 2006.Google Scholar
- S. El-Ansary, L. Alima, P. Brand, S. Haridi. Efficient Broadcast in Structured P2P Net-works. 2nd Int. Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS’03), Berkeley, USA, 2003.Google Scholar