Capturing MPEG-7 Semantics
The ambiguities due to the purely syntactical nature of MPEG-7 have hindered its widespread application as they lead to serious interoperability issues in sharing and managing multimedia metadata. Acknowledging these limitations, a number of initiatives have been reported towards attaching formal semantics to the MPEG-7 specifications. In this paper we examine the rationale on which the relevant approaches build, and building on the experiences gained we present the approach followed in the BOEMIE project.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bloehdorn, S. et. al. : Semantic Annotation of Images and Videos for Multimedia Analysis. Proc. ESWC, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, May 29 - June, 592–607 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Garcia, R., and Celma, O.: Semantic Integration and Retrieval of Multimedia Metadata. Proc. ISWC, Galway, Ireland, Nov. 6—10 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Hunter, J.: Adding Multimedia to the Semantic Web: Building an MPEG-7 Ontology. Proc. 1st Semantic Web Working Symposium, Stanford University, California, USA, July 30 - August 1, 261–283 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Hunter, J., Drennan, J., Little, S.: Realizing the Hydrogen Economy through Semantic Web Technologies. IEEE Intelligent Systems, (1):January, 40–47 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Martinez, J.M. (editor). : Overview of the MPEG-7 Standard (v4.0) ISO/MPEG N3752.Google Scholar
- 6.Oberle, D. et.al. : DOLCE ergo SUMO: On Foundational and Domain Models in SWIntO (SmartWeb Integrated Ontology). Tech. Report, AIFB, University of Karlsruhe. July (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Troncy, R. et. al.: Enabling Multimedia Metadata Interoperability by Defining Formal Semantics of MPEG-7 Profiles. Proc. SAMT, Athens, Greece, December 6–8, 41—55 (2006)Google Scholar