SATSIX: A Network Architecture for Next-Generation DVB-RCS Systems
Broadband satellite will play an important role to provide universal broadband access for the users. In order to lower the cost, the next-generation satellite systems should support IPv6 and seamlessly integrate with terrestrial networks, including wireless local loops. Based on the studies on the requirements and design constraints, in this paper, a novel network architecture has been proposed as a potential solution to the above problems. The proposed network architecture supports both transparent and regenerative topologies and can seamlessly interworking with WLL. It also integrates QoS, multicast, security, and mobility functions to support a range of transport requirements. How to apply this network architecture to support three different scenarios, namely corporate application scenario, residential application scenario and collective access terminal scenario, are also described.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- EN 301 790, “DVB Interaction channel for satellite distribution systems”, ETSI.Google Scholar
- EN 301 421, “DVB Modulation and Coding for DBS satellite systems at 11/12 GHz”, ETSI.Google Scholar
- EN 302 207, “Second generation framing structure, channel coding and modulation systems for Broadcasting, Interactive Services, News Gathering and Other Broadband Satellite Applications”.Google Scholar
- ETSI.ISO/IEC 13818–1, “Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio Information Systems”.Google Scholar
- M. J. Montpetit, G. Fairhurst, H. Clausen, B. Collini-Nocker, and H. Linder, “A Framework for Transmission of IP Datagrams over MPEG-2 Networks”, RFC 4259, 2005.Google Scholar
- ETSI/EN 301 192, “DVB Specifications for Data Broadcasting”, European Telecommunications Standards Institute, 1999.Google Scholar
- G. Fairhurst and B. Collini-Nocker, “Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) for Transmission of IP Datagrams over an MPEG-2 Transport Stream (TS)”, IETF RFC 4326, 2005.Google Scholar
- “Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Generic Stream Encapsulation (GSE) Protocol For Interactive and Professional Applications”, ETSI Work in Progress, 2007.Google Scholar
- TS 102 462, “Satellite Earth Stations and Systems (SES); Broadband Satellite Multimedia (BSM) Services and Architectures: QoS Functional Architecture”, ETSI.Google Scholar
- TS 102 352, “Broadband Satellite Multimedia (BSM); Transparent Satellite Star—A (TSS-A); DVB-S/DVB-RCS for transparent satellites”, ETSI, 2005.Google Scholar
- “Broadband Satellite Multimedia (BSM); Regenerative Satellite Mesh B (RSM-B); Profile of DVB-RCS and DVB-S Standards”, ETSI, 2006.Google Scholar