E-Voting as a Teaching Tool
- 549 Downloads
Electronic voting systems are widely used in elections. This paper describes using an e-voting system as the basis for a project in an undergraduate computer security class. The goal of the project was to teach the students how to use the Flaw Hypothesis Methodology to perform a penetration study.
Keywordscomputer security information assurance electronic voting flaw hypothesis methodology penetration study
- 1.Linde, R.: Operating systems penetration. In: 1978 National Computer Conference, AFIPS Conference Proceedings. Volume 44. (1975) 361–368Google Scholar
- 3.Brennan Center Task Force on Voting System Security: The machinery of democracy: Protecting elections in an electronic world. Technical report, Brennan Center, 161 Avenue of the Americas, 12th Floor, New York, NY 10013 (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kohno, T., Stubblefield, A., Rubin, A.D., Wallach, D.S.: Analysis of an electronic voting system. In: Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy. (May 2004) 27–40 Appeared previously as Johns Hopkins University Information Security Institute Technical Report TR-2003-19, July 23, 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.Compuware Corporation: Direct recording electronic (DRE) technical security assessment report (November 2003) http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/hava/compuware112103_OnlinePDF.pdf.
- 6.Science Applications International Corporation: Risk assessment report: Diebold AccuVote-TS voting system and processes (September 2003) http://www.dbm.maryland.gov/SBE.
- 7.RABA Innovative Solution Cell: Trusted agent report: Diebold AccuVote-TS voting system (January 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team: Diebold GEMS central tabulator vote database vote modification. Cyber Security Bulletin SB04-252 (September 2004) http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB04-252.html.
- 9.Hursti, H.: Diebold TSx evaluation and security alert (May 2006) http://www.blackboxvoting.org/BBVtsxstudy_OnlinePDF.pdf.
- 10.Feldman, A., Halderman, J.A., Feiten, E.: Security analysis of the Diebold AccuVote-TS voting machine. Technical report, Princeton University (September 2006)Google Scholar