Healthcare System Factors in Healthcare Disparities
Several aspects of the healthcare system have been postulated to impact patient care and outcomes, particularly among racial and ethnic minority groups (Smedley, Stith, & Nelson, 2003). These include, but are not limited to the organization, constitution and financing of the system as well as the ease of accessing services. Each of these factors will be discussed below.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baicker, K., Chandra, A., Skinner, J. S., & Wennberg, J. E. (2004). Who you are and where you live: How race and geography affect the treatment of medicare beneficiaries. Health Affairs (Project Hope), (Suppl Web Exclusive), VAR33–VAR44.Google Scholar
- Betancourt, J., Green, A., & Carrillo, E. (2002). Cultural competence in healthcare: Emerging frameworks and practical approaches (Rep. No. 576). Washington, DC: The Commonwealth Fund.Google Scholar
- Betancourt, J. R., & Maina, A. W. (2004). The Institute of Medicine report “Unequal Treatment”: Implications for academic health centers. The Mount Sinai Journal of.Medicine, 71, 314–321.Google Scholar
- Brennan, T. A., Leape, L. L., Laird, N. M., Hebert, L., Localio, A. R., Lawthers, A. G., et al. (1991). Incidence of adverse events and negligence in hospitalized patients. Results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study I. The New England Journal of Medicine, 324, 370–376.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fulcher, C. L., & Kaukinen, C. E. (2004). Visualizing the infrastructure of US healthcare using Internet GIS: A community health informatics approach for reducing health disparities. Medinfo, 11, 1197–1201.Google Scholar
- Gibbons, M. C. (2006). Common ground: Exploring policy approaches to addressing racial disparities from the left and the right. The Journal of Healthcare Law and Policy, 9, 48–76.Google Scholar
- IOM Committee on Quality of Healthcare in America. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21st century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Keith, S. N., Bell, R. M., Swanson, A. G., & Williams, A. P. (1985). Effects of affirmative action in medical schools. A study of the class of 1975. The New England Journal of Medicine, 313, 1519–1525.Google Scholar
- Kohn, L., Corrigan, J., & Donaldson, M. (2000). To err is human: Building a safer health system. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Satterfield, D., Burd, C., Valez, L., Hosey, G., & Shield, J. (2002). The “in-between people”: Participation of CHR’s in diabetes prevention and care in American Indian and Alaska native communities. Health Promotion Practice, 3, 166–175.Google Scholar
- Smedley, B. D., Stith, A. Y., & Nelson, A. R. (2003). Unequal treatment: Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Vining, B. A., Lurie, N., & Huang, Z. (2003). Racial variation in quality of care among Medicare + choice enrollees. Health Affairs (Project Hope), 21, 224–230.Google Scholar
- Zipes, D. P., Libby, P., Bonow, R. O., & Braunwald, E. (Eds.). (2005). Braunwald’s heart disease (7th ed.). Philadelphia: Elsevier-Saunders.Google Scholar