Simplifying Grid Application Programming Using Web-Enabled Code Transfer Tools
This paper deals with one of the fundamental properties of grid computing – transferring code between grid nodes and executing it remotely on heterogeneous hosts. Contemporary middleware relies for this purpose on Web Services, which makes application programs complicated and low-level and requires much additional expertise from programmers. We compare two mechanisms for grid application programming with regard to their handling of code transfer – the de-facto standard WS-GRAM in Globus and the higher-level approach based on HOCs (Higher-Order Components). We study the advantages and problems of each approach using a real-world application case study – the sequent alignment problem from bioinformatics. Our experiments show the trade-off between reduced development costs and software complexity when HOCs are used and the higher performance of the applications on the grid when using WS-GRAM.
KeywordsApplication Code Grid Application Executable Code Globus Toolkit Code Parameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Dumitrescu, A. Iosup, I. Raicu, M. Ripeanu. ServMark: A Distributed Grid Testing Framework, 2006. http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Incubator/ServMark.
- K. Czajkowski, I. Foster, C. Kesselman et al.. A Resource Management Architecture for Metacomputing Systems . In IPPS/PDP’98 Workshop, pages 62-82, 1998.Google Scholar
- J. D ünnweber et al. Adaptable parallel components for Grid programming. Integrated Research in GRID Computing, pages 43-59. Springer Verlag, 2006.Google Scholar
- J. D ünnweber, P. L üdeking, C. L. Dumitrescu, E. Argollo, and S. Gorlatch. The HOC-SA Globus Incubator Project. Web page: http://dev.globus.org/incubator/hoc-sa/, 2006.
- S. Gorlatch and J. D ünnweber. From Grid Middleware to Grid Applications: Bridging the Gap with HOCs. In Future Generation Grids, pages 299-306. Springer Verlag, 2005.Google Scholar
- K. Harrison et al. Ganga: a Grid User Interface for Distributed Analysis. In S. J. Cox, editor, Proceedings of Fifth UK e-Science All-Hands Meeting. EPSRC, 2006.Google Scholar
- P. Luedeking. MS thesis: Proteine sequence analysis in the Grid with the HOC-SA, 2006.Google Scholar
- Maytal Dahan et al. Grid Portal Toolkit 3 (gridport). In Proceedings of the 13th HPDC, pages 272-273, Washington, DC, USA, 2004. IEEE.Google Scholar
- A. Moustafa. The JAligner library http://jaligner.sourceforge.net, 2007
- Grid Data Access and Integration OGSA-DAI www.ogsadai.org.uk, 2007
- L. Peterson et al. A Blueprint for Introducing Disruptive Technology into the Internet. In Proceedings of the ACM HotNets), October 2002.Google Scholar
- W3C: . XML protocol recommendations, http://www.w3.org/2002/ws, 2002.