Towards Next Generation Grids pp 205-214
Adding metadata to Orc to support reasoning about grid programs
Following earlier work demonstrating the utility of Orc as a means of specifying and reasoning about grid applications we propose the enhancement of such specifications with metadata that provide a means to extend an Orc specification with implementation oriented information. We argue that such specifications provide a useful refinement step in allowing reasoning about implementation related issues ahead of actual implementation or even prototyping. As examples, we demonstrate how such extended specifications can be used for investigating security related issues and for evaluating the cost of handling grid resource faults. The approach emphasises a semi-formal style of reasoning that makes maximum use of programmer domain knowledge and experience.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Aldinucci, S. Campa, M. Coppola, M. Danelutto, D. Laforenza, D. Puppin, L. Scarponi, M. Vanneschi, and C. Zoccolo. Components for high performance grid programming in grid.it. Proc. of the Intl. Workshop on Component Models and Systems for Grid Applications, CoreGRID series, pages 19-38, Saint-Malo, France, Jan. 2005. Springer.Google Scholar
- M. Aldinucci and M. Danelutto. Algorithmic skeletons meeting grids. Parallel Computing, 32 (7):449-462, 2006. DOI:10.1016/j.parco.2006.04.001.Google Scholar
- M. Aldinucci, M. Danelutto, and P. Kilpatrick. Management in distributed systems: a semi-formal approach. TR-07-05, Univ. of Pisa, Dept. of Comp. Science, Feb. 2007.Google Scholar
- M. Alt, J. D ünnweber, J. M üller, and S. Gorlatch. HOCs: Higher-order components for grids. In Component Models and Systems for Grid Applications, CoreGRID series, pages 157-166. Springer, Jan. 2005.Google Scholar
- F. Baude, D. Caromel, and M. Morel. On hierarchical, parallel and distributed components for grid programming. Proc. of the Intl. Workshop on Component Models and Systems for Grid Applications, CoreGRID series, pages 97-108, Jan. 2005. Springer.Google Scholar
- Business Process Execution Language for Web Services version 1.1, 2007. http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpel/.
- The Common Component Architecture Forum, 2007. http://www.cca-forum.org/.
- CoreGRID NoE deliverable series, Institute on Programming Model. Deliverable D.PM.04 - Basic Features of the Grid Component Model (assessed), Feb. 2007.Google Scholar
- M. Danelutto and P. Dazzi. Joint structured/non structured parallelism exploitation through data flow. Proc. of ICCS: Intl. Conference on Computational Science, WS on Practical Aspects of High-level Parallel Programming, LNCS, Reading, UK, May 2006. Springer.Google Scholar
- J. Misra and W. R. Cook. Computation orchestration: A basis for a wide-area computing. Software and Systems Modeling, 2006. DOI 10.1007/s10270-006-0012-1.Google Scholar
- Next Generation GRIDs Expert Group. Future for European Grids: GRIDs and Ser- vice Oriented Knowledge Utilities. Vision and Research Directions 2010 and Beyond, http://cordis.europa.eu/ist/grids/ngg.htm, 2006.
- H. Smith and P. Fingar. Workflow is just a pi process. BPTrends, pages 1-36, 2004.Google Scholar