Co-Allocating Compute and Network Resources
Distributed applications or workflows need to access and use compute, storage and network resources simultaneously or chronologically coordinated respectively. Examples are distributed multi-physics simulations that use the combined computational performance and data storage of multiple clusters. A coordinated reservation and allocation of the resources is a prerequisite for the efficient use of such resources. This contribution describes the components of a system that provides Grid users with this functionality. The Grid middleware UNICORE is extended to access a MetaScheduling Service (MSS) performing orchestration of resources of different administrative domains, using advance reservation capability of local resource management systems (RMS) - including network connections for which ARGON serves as RMS. ARGON leverages Bandwidth on Demand, a cornerstone of next generation Grid enabled optical networks rendering the network to a first class Grid resource.
KeywordsNetwork Resource Grid Resource Simple Object Access Protocol Resource Management System Advance Reservation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Andrieux, K. Czajkowski, A. Dan, K. Keahey, H. Ludwig, T. Nakata, J. Pruyne, J. Rofrano, S. Tuecke, and M. Xu. Web Services Agreement Specification (WS-Agreement), March 2007. 15 Mar 2007 <https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/docman/do/downloadDocument/projects.graap-wg/docman.root.current drafts/doc6091/>.
- ARGON - Allocation and Reservation in Grid-enabled Optic Networks. VIOLA Project Report, March 2006 <http://www.viola-testbed.de/>.
- B. Bierbaum, C. Clauss, Th. Eickermann, L. Kirtchakova, A. Krechel, S. Springstubbe, O. W äldrich, Ph.Wieder, and W. Ziegler. Reliable Orchestration of distributed MPIApplications in a UNICORE-based Grid with MetaMPICH and MetaScheduling. In Proc. of the EuroPVM/MPI 2006, volume 4192 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 174 - 183. Springer, 2006.Google Scholar
- S. Chen and K. Nahrstedt. An Overview of Quality-of-Service Routing for Next Generation High-Speed Networks: Problems and Solutions. In IEEE Network, Special Issue on Transmission and Distribution of Digital Video, volume 12, No 6, pages 64-79. IEEE Communications Society, 1998.Google Scholar
- Dynamic Resource Allocation Controller (DRAC). March 2007 <http://www.nortel.com/drac/>.
- G-lambda Project. March 2007 <http://www.g-lambda.net/>.
- G ´EANT - The pan-European research and education network. Mar 2007 <http://www.geant.net/>.
- GGF - The Open Grid Forum. Mar 2007 <http://www.ogf.org>.
- Grid Resource Allocation Agreement Protocol Working Group. Mar 2007 <https://forge.gridforum.org/projects/graap-wg/>.
- MPCCI - Multidisciplinary Simulations through Code-Coupling. Mar 2007 <http://www.scai.fraunhofer.de/mpcci.html/>.
- P. Paul and S. V. Raghavan. Survey of QoS Routing. In Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Computer communication, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, 2000.Google Scholar
- PHOSPHORUS - Lambda User Controlled Infrastructure for European Research. Mar 2007 <http://www.phosphorus.pl/>.
- G. Quecke and W. Ziegler. MeSch - An Approach to Resource Management in a Distributed Environment. In Proc. of 1st IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Grid Computing (Grid 2000), volume 1971 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 47-54. Springer, 2000.Google Scholar
- Simple Object Access Protocol Specification. SOAP Specification version 1.2. Web site, 2007. Online: <http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12/>.
- A. Streit, D. Erwin, Th. Lippert, D. Mallmann, R. Menday, M. Rambadt, M. Riedel, M. Romberg, B. Schuller, and Ph. Wieder. UNICORE - From Project Results to Production Grids. In L. Grandinetti, editor, Grid Computing: The New Frontiers of High Performance Processing, Advances in Parallel Computing 14. Elsevier, 2005.Google Scholar
- User-controlled LightPaths. March 2007 <http://www.canarie.ca/canet4/uclp/>.
- VIOLA - Vertically Integrated Optical Testbed for Large Application in DFN. Mar 2007 <http://www.viola-testbed.de/>.
- O. W äldrich, Ph.Wieder, and W. Ziegler. A Meta-scheduling Service for Co-allocating Arbitrary Types of Resources. In Proc. of the Second Grid Resource Management Workshop (GRMWS’05) in conjunction with the Sixth International Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics (PPAM 2005), volume 3911 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 782-791, Poznan, Poland, September 11-14, 2006. Springer.Google Scholar
- Ph. Wieder, O. W äldrich, R. Yahyapour, and W. Ziegler. Improving Workflow execution through SLA-based Advance Reservation. In Intregrated Research in Grid Computing, CoreGRID Integration Workshop, pages 333 - 344, Krakow, Poland, 2006. ISBN: 83-915141-6-1.Google Scholar