A Model for Users' Action Prediction Based on Locality Profiles
In this chapter we propose a model for predicting users' next page requests. The model is based on the recognition and mining of navigational paths and patterns users typically follow. A special access log system is employed and techniques of web mining are used. Experimental results with developed prediction model are presented.
KeywordsLocality Model User Session Locality Profile Page Request Prediction Engine
We appreciate the support of Estonian Information Technology Foundation, Doctoral School in ICT (Measure 1.1 Estonian NDP), and the ETF grant no. 5766.
- Bernard, M. L. (2001) User expectations for the location of web objects. In:Proc. of CHI '01 Conference: Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 171–172.Google Scholar
- Bernard, M. L. and Chaparro, B. S. (2000) Searching within websites: A comparison of three types of sitemap menu structures. In:Proc. of The Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 44th Annual Meeting in San Diego, pp. 441–444. (PDF format)http://psychology.wichita.edu/hci/projects/sitemap.pdf.
- Davison, B. (1999) Web traffic logs: An imperfect resource for evaluation. In:Proc. of 9th Annual Conference of the Internet Society (INET '99). San Jose, CA.Google Scholar
- Geissler, G., Zinkhan, G. and Watson, R. (2001) Web home page complexity and communi-cation effectiveness. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 2(2), 1–48.Google Scholar
- Kimball, R. and Margy, R. (2002) The data warehouse toolkit: the complete guide to dimensional modelling. Wiley, New York.Google Scholar
- Perkowitz, M. and Etzioni, O. (2001) Adaptive web sites: Concept and case study. Artificial Intelligence, 118(1–2), 245–275.Google Scholar
- Robal, T., Kalja, A. and Põld, J. (2006) Analysing the web log to determine the efficiency of web systems. In: Proc. of the 7th International Baltic Conference on Databases and Information Systems DB&IS'2006. Technika, Vilnius, pp. 264–275.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, J., Desikan, P. and Kumar, V. (2002) Web mining: Accomplishments and future directions. In:Proc. US Nat'l Science Foundation Workshop on Next-Generation Data Mining (NGDM). Nat'l Science Foundation.Google Scholar