Skeleton Parallel Programming and Parallel Objects
This paper describes the ongoing work aimed at integrating the POP-C++ parallel object programming environment with the ASSIST component based parallel programming environment. Both these programming environments are shortly outlined, then several possibilities of integration are considered. For each one of these integration opportunities, the advantages and synergies that can be possibly achieved are outlined and discussed.
The text explains how GEA, the ASSIST deployer can be considered as the basis for the integration of such different systems. An architecture is proposed, extending the existing tools to work together. The current status of integration of the two environments is discussed, along with the expected results and fallouts on the two programming environments.
KeywordsParallel programming grid skeletons object-oriented deployment execution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Aldinucci, S. Campa, P. Ciullo, M. Coppola, S. Magini, P. Pesciullesi, L. Potiti, R. Ravazzoloand M. Torquati, M. Vanneschi, and C. Zoccolo. The Implementation of ASSIST, an Environment for Parallel and Distributed Programming. In Proc. of EuroPar2003, number 2790 in “Lecture Notes in Computer Science”. Springer, 2003.Google Scholar
- M. Aldinucci, S. Campa, M. Coppola, M. Danelutto, D. Laforenza, D. Puppin, L. Scarponi, M. Vanneschi, and C. Zoccolo. Components for High-Performance Grid Programming in GRID.it. In Component modes and systems for Grid applications, CoreGRID. Springer, 2005.Google Scholar
- M. Aldinucci, A. Petrocelli, E. Pistoletti, M. Torquati, M. Vanneschi, L. Veraldi, and C. Zoccolo. Dynamic reconfiguration of grid-aware applications in ASSIST. In 11th Intl Euro-Par 2005: Parallel and Distributed Computing, number 3149 in “Lecture Notes in Computer Science”. Springer Verlag, 2004.Google Scholar
- M. Aldinucci and M. Torquati. Accelerating apache farms through ad-HOC distributed scalable object repository. In M. Danelutto, M. Vanneschi, and D. Laforenza, editors, 10th Intl Euro-Par 2004: Parallel and Distributed Computing, volume 3149 of “Lecture Notes in Computer Science”, pages 596–605, Pisa, Italy, August 2004. “Springer”.Google Scholar
- S. Andreozzi, P. Ciancarini, D. Montesi, and R. Moretti. Towards a metamodeling based method for representing and selecting grid services. In Mario Jeckle, Ryszard Kowalczyk, and Peter Braun II, editors, GSEM, volume 3270 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 78–93. Springer, 2004.Google Scholar
- F. Baude, D. Caromel, L. Mestre, F. Huet, and J. Vayssiï¿1/2e. Interactive and descriptor-based deployment of object-oriented grid applications. In Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Intl Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, pages 93–102, Edinburgh, Scotland, July 2002. IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Massimo Coppola, Marco Danelutto, Sï¿1/2astien Lacour, Christian Pï¿1/2ez, Thierry Priol, Nicola Tonellotto, and Corrado Zoccolo. Towards a common deployment model for grid systems. In Sergei Gorlatch and Marco Danelutto, editors, CoreGRID Workshop on Integrated research in Grid Computing, pages 31–40, Pisa, Italy, November 2005. CoreGRID.Google Scholar
- Platform Computing Corporation. Running Jobs with Platform LSF, 2003.Google Scholar
- Felix Heine, Matthias Hovestadt, and Odej Kao. Towards ontology-driven p2p grid resource discovery. In Rajkumar Buyya, editor, GRID, pages 76–83. IEEE Computer Society, 2004.Google Scholar
- R. Henderson and D. Tweten. Portable batch system: External reference specification. Technical report, NASA, Ames Research Center, 1996.Google Scholar
- T.-A. Nguyen and P. Kuonen. ParoC++: A requirement-driven parallel object-oriented programming language. In Eighth Intl Workshop on High-Level Parallel Programming Models and Supportive Environments (HIPS’03), April 22–22, 2003, Nice, France, pages 25–33. IEEE Computer Society, 2003.Google Scholar
- Diego Puppin, Stefano Moncelli, Ranieri Baraglia, Nicola Tonellotto, and Fabrizio Silvestri. A grid information service based on peer-to-peer. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2648, Proceeeding of Euro-Par, pages 454–464, 2005.Google Scholar
- M. Vanneschi. The Programming Model of ASSIST, an Environment for Parallel and Distributed Portable Applications. Parallel Computing, 12, December 2002.Google Scholar
- Gregor von Laszewski, Ian Foster, and Jarek Gawor. CoG kits: a bridge between commodity distributed computing and high-performance grids. In Proceedings of the ACM Java Grande Conference, pages 97–106, June 2000.Google Scholar
- T. Ylonen. SSH-secure login connections over the internet. In Proceedings of the 6th Security Symposium, page 37, Berkeley, 1996. USENIX Association.Google Scholar