Wsrf-Based Services for Distributed Data Mining
Computational Grids can be effectively used as an infrastructure for distributed data mining and knowledge discovery in large data sets. To utilize Grids for high-performance knowledge discovery, software tools and mechanisms are needed. To this purpose we designed a system called Knowledge Grid and we are implementing its services as WSRF-compliant Grid Services. This chapter describes the composition of distributed knowledge discovery services, according to the service oriented architecture model, by using the Knowledge Grid environment. We discuss Grid Services for searching Grid resources, composing software and data elements, and executing the resulting data mining application on the Knowledge Grid. The chapter focuses in particular on the application modeling. Applications are designed using a UML model, which is translated into a BPEL representation, in turn processed by the Knowledge Grid services for its execution.
Keywords:distributed data mining Knowledge Grid WSRF UML BPEL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Cannataro and D. Talia. The Knowledge Grid. CACM. 46(1):89–93, 2003.Google Scholar
- M. Cannataro, A. Congiusta, D. Talia and P. Trunfio. A Data Mining Toolset for Distributed High-Performance Platforms. Int. Conference Data Mining 2002, WIT Press, pp. 41–50, 2002.Google Scholar
- G. Bueti, A. Congiusta and D. Talia. Developing Distributed Data Mining Applications in the KNOWLEDGE GRID Framework. VECPAR’04, LNCS 3402, pp. 156–169, 2005.Google Scholar
- A. Congiusta, D. Talia, P. Trunfio. On Designing and Composing Grid Services for Distributed Data Mining. In: V. Getov, D. Laforenza, A. Reinefeld (Eds.), Future Generation Grids, pp. 113–132, Springer-Verlag, 2006.Google Scholar
- K. Channabasavaiah, K. Holley and E. M. Tuggle. Migrating to a service-oriented architecture. 2003. http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-migratesoa.Google Scholar
- I. Foster, C. Kesselman, J. Nick and S. Tuecke. The Physiology of the Grid. In: Grid Computing: Making the Global Infrastructure a Reality, Wiley, pp. 217–249, 2003.Google Scholar
- K. Czajkowski et al. The WS-Resource Framework Version 1.0. 2004. http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-resource/ws-wsrf.pdf.Google Scholar
- Web Services Notification. http://www-128.ibrn.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-notification.Google Scholar
- BPEL for Web Services version 1.1. http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/specification/ws-bpel.Google Scholar
- Web Service Choreography Interface (WSCI) 1.0. http://www.w3.org/TR/wsci.Google Scholar
- The UCI Repository. http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html.Google Scholar
- P. Brezany, J. Hofer, A. M. Tjoa and A. Woehrer. GridMiner: An Infrastructure for Data Mining on Computational Grids. APAC’03, 2003.Google Scholar