Pricing the Last Mile in the Postal Sector
This paper explores whether it would be commercially interesting for historical postal operators to price the “postal last mile”. By introducing the receiver pays principle it identifies an approach which could lead to a number of innovations in service arrangements and in financing the universal service obligation (USO).
KeywordsPrice Elasticity Price Scheme Postal Operator Delivery Cost Flat Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen, R. and E.H. Chu. 1997. “A Measure of Scale Economies for Postal Systems.” In Managing Change in the Postal and Delivery Industries, edited by M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Crew, M.A. and P.R. Kleindorfer. 1991. “Rowland Hill’s Contribution as an Economist.” In Competition and Innovation in Postal Services, edited by M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- De Donder, P., H. Cremer, J.P. Florens, A. Grimaud and F. Rodriguez. 2001. “Uniform Pricing and Postal Market Liberalization.” In Future Directions in Postal Reform, edited by M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Dietl, H.M., U. Trinkner, and R. Bleisch. 2005. “Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market.” In Regulatory and Economic Challenges in the Postal and Delivery Sector, edited by M.A. Crew and P.R. Kleindorfer. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar
- Elsenbast, W. 1996. Die Infrastrukturverpflichtung im Postbereich aus Nutzersicht. Diskussionbeitrag Nr. 162, WIK, Bad Honnef.Google Scholar
- Hemmeon, J.C. 1912. The History of the British Post Office. London, Henry Frowde.Google Scholar
- Hill, R. and Hill, G.B. 1880: The Life of Sir Rowland Hill. London: Thos. De La Rue & Co.Google Scholar
- Owen, B. and R. Willig. 1981. Economics and postal pricing. In The Future of the Postal Service, edited by J. Fleishman. Aspen: The Aspen Institute.Google Scholar
- Schwarz-Schilling, C. 2001. Pricing Schemes in Liberalized Postal Markets. Presented at the Second Conference on “Competition and Universal Service in the Postal Sector,” Toulouse, December 6–7.Google Scholar