Towards A Standards-Based Grid Scheduling Architecture
The definition of a generic Grid scheduling architecture is the concern of both the Open Grid Forum’s Grid Scheduling Architecture Research Group and a CoreGRID research group of the same name. Such an architecture should provide a blueprint for Grid system and middleware designers and assist them in linking their scheduling requirements to diverse existing solutions and standards. Based on work executed within the Open Grid Forum related to scheduling use cases and requirements, which tackles the problem from a more theoretical point of view, we approach in this paper the problem practically by evaluating the teikoku Grid Scheduling Framework in the light of standards-compliance. The results of this evaluation and the existing Grid Scheduling Architecture proposal are set into context, existing gaps are described and potential solutions to bridge them are introduced. In doing so, we concentrate on the interoperability of schedulers and the necessity of a Scheduling Description Language to achieve it.
KeywordsGrid Scheduling Architecture Grid Standards Interoperability Open Grid Forum Scheduling Description Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Andrieux, K. Czajkowski, A. Dan, K. Keahey, H. Ludwig, T. Nakata, J. Pruyne, J. Rofrano, S. Tuecke, and M. Xu. WS-Agreement - Web Services Agreement Specification. Grid Forum Document, GFD.107, Open Grid Forum, May, 2007.Google Scholar
- A. Anjomshoaa, F. Brisard, M. Drescher, D. Fellows, A. Ly, S. McGough, D. Pulsipher, and A. Savva. Job Submission Description Language (JSDL) Specification, Version 1.0. Grid Forum Document, GFD.56, Open Grid Forum, November, 2005.Google Scholar
- R. Brobst, W. Chan, F. Ferstl, J. Gardiner, A. Haas, B. Nitzberg, H. Rajic, D. Templeton, J. Tollefsrud, and P. Träger. Distributed Resource Management Application API Specification 1.0. Recommendation GFD.22, Open Grid Forum, Lemont (IL), USA, April 2004.Google Scholar
- Th. Eickermann, W. Frings, O. Wäldrich, Ph. Wieder, and W. Ziegler. Coallocation of mpi jobs with the viola grid metascheduling framework. In Proceedings of the German e-Science Conference 2007, Baden-Baden, May 2007. Max Planck eDoc Server, Max Planck Digital Library.Google Scholar
- I. Foster and C. Kesselman. Globus: A Toolkit-Based Grid Architecture. In The Grid: Blueprint for a Future Computing Infrastructure, pages 259-278. Morgan Kaufman, San Mateo (CA), 1st edition, 1998.Google Scholar
- Ch. Grimme, T. Langhammer, A. Papaspyrou, and F. Schintke. Negotiationbased Choreography of Data-intensive Applications in the C3Grid Project. In Proceedings of the German e-Science Conference (GES), Baden-Baden, Germany, May 2007. Max-Planck Society (online).Google Scholar
- Ch. Grimme, J. Lepping, and A. Papaspyrou. Identifying Job Migration Characteristics in Decentralized Grid Scheduling Scenarios. In Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems (PDCS), Cambridge (MA), USA, November 2007. IASTED, ACTA Press. To appear.Google Scholar
- Ch. Grimme, J. Lepping, and A. Papaspyrou. Prospects of Collaboration between Compute Providers by Means of Job Interchange. In E. Frachtenberg and U. Schwiegelshohn, editors, Proceedings of the 13th Workshop on Job Scheduling Strategies for Parallel Processing (JSSPP), Lecture Notes on Computer Science (LNCS), Seattle (WA), USA, June 2007. Springer. To appear.Google Scholar
- A. Grimshaw, S. Newhouse, et al. OGSA Basic Execution Service Version 1.0. online [http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/ogsa-bes-wg], December 2006.
- IEEE Computer Society Portable Applications Standards Committee. Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX). Shell and utilities. In Standard for Information Technology, volume 6 of The Open Group Base Specifications. IEEE Press, 2004.Google Scholar
- N. Tonellotto, Ph. Wieder, and R. Yahyapour. A Proposal for a Generic Grid Scheduling Architecture. In S. Gorlatch and M. Danelutto, editors, Proceedings of the Integrated Research in Grid Computing Workshop 2005, CoreGRID Series, pages 227-239. Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- R. Yahyapour and Ph. Wieder. Grid scheduling use cases. Grid Forum Document, GFD.64, Global Grid Forum, March, 2006.Google Scholar