Development, Occurrence and Regulationof Antifouling Paint Biocides: Historical Review and Future Trends
Antifouling agents have been used on ships since the ancient Roman and Greek civilizations. A brief history is provided through to the demise of tributyltin (TBT) and the introduction of organic “booster” biocides. It is upon these latter compounds that the chapter is focused. A broad description of published data and of work undertaken through the Assessment of Antifouling Agents in Coastal Environments (ACE) project is provided to afford an overview of levels, behaviours and potential threats posed by the compounds. Legislative measures that influence and control usage are described. Finally, options for antifouling measures projected into the future are described and discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Much of the reported research was supported by the European Commission under the ACE (Assessment of Antifouling Agents in Coastal Environments) contract (MAS 3-CT98-0178) (a component of the EC IMPACTS cluster). The author is most grateful to all the scientists who participated in the ACE project and who contributed to the data described herein.
- 4.Bryan GW, Gibbs PE, Burt GR, Hummerstone LG (1986) J Mar Biol Assoc UK 66:611 Google Scholar
- 6.Communauté Européenne (1989) J Off Communautes Eur L398/19 Google Scholar
- 7.Environment Agency (1998) Environmental Problems from Antifouling Agents. R & D Technical Report P215 EA. Bristol, UK Google Scholar
- 11.Hall LW, Giddings JM, Solomon KR, Balcomb R (1999) Crit Rev Toxicol 29:367 Google Scholar
- 13.Callow ME, Finlay JA (1996) Biofouling 10:239 Google Scholar
- 14.Madsen T, Samsoe-Petersen L, Gustavson K, Rasmussen D (2000) Danish EPA Report No. 531 2000 Google Scholar
- 15.Turley PA, Fenn RJ, Figura PM, Ritter JC (2000) Biofouling 15:175 Google Scholar
- 22.Devilla RA, Brown MT, Donkin M, Tarran GA, Aiken J, Readman JW (2005) Mar Ecol Prog Ser 286:1 Google Scholar
- 25.International Coatings Ltd (2004) http://www.yachtpaint.com/superyacht/sy/pdf/antifouling_legislation.pdf
- 26.Health and Safety Executive (2002) Information Document HSE 730/15:13 Google Scholar