An Innovative Strategy for the Effective Reduction of MDR Pathogens from the Nosocomial Environment
- 150 Downloads
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is currently one of the main concerns for human health.
Due to its rapid increase and global diffusion, several common microbial infections might become not curable in the future decades, making it impossible to apply other lifesaver therapies, such as transplant or chemotherapy.
AMR is frequently observed in hospital pathogens, due to selective pressure exerted by antibiotic use, and consistently with this, in the recent years, many actions have been proposed to limit AMR spread, including hygiene measures for hospital professionals and a wiser antibiotic usage.
Indeed, the hospital environment itself represents a reservoir of pathogens, whose control was so far addressed by conventional sanitation procedures, which however cannot prevent recontamination and might further favour the selection of resistant strains.
Here we report the results collected by studying an innovative sanitation strategy based on the use of probiotic bacteria, capable of reducing in a stable way the surface load of pathogens and their AMR. Collected data suggest that this system might contribute significantly to AMR control and might be thus considered as one of the tools for AMR and infection prevention and control.
KeywordsAntimicrobial resistance Healthcare-associated infections Hospital environment Probiotics Sanitation strategy
- Alividza V, Mariano V, Ahmad R, Charani E, Rawson TM, Holmes AH et al (2018) Investigating the impact of poverty on colonization and infection with drug-resistant organisms in humans: a systematic review. Infect Dis Poverty 7(1):76. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40249-018-0459-7 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Banerjee T, Mishra A, Das A, Sharma S, Barman H, Yadav G (2018) High prevalence and Endemicity of multidrug resistant Acinetobacter spp. in Intensive Care Unit of a Tertiary Care Hospital, Varanasi, India. J Pathog 2018:9129083. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9129083 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Banupriya B, Biswal N, Srinivasaraghavan R, Narayanan P, Mandal J (2015) Probiotic prophylaxis to prevent ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP) in children on mechanical ventilation: an open-label randomized controlled trial. Intensive Care Med 41(4):677–685. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-015-3694-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Caini S, Hajdu A, Kurcz A, Borocz K (2013) Hospital-acquired infections due to multidrug-resistant organisms in Hungary, 2005-2010. Euro Surveill 18(2). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=23324427
- Caselli E, D’Accolti M, Vandini A, Lanzoni L, Camerada MT, Coccagna M et al (2016b) Impact of a probiotic-based cleaning intervention on the microbiota ecosystem of the hospital surfaces: focus on the Resistome Remodulation. PLoS One 11(2):e0148857. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0148857 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Caselli E, Brusaferro S, Coccagna M, Arnoldo L, Berloco F, Antonioli P et al (2018a) Reducing healthcare-associated infections incidence by a probiotic-based sanitation system: a multicentre, prospective, intervention study. PLoS One 13(7):e0199616. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0199616 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Caselli E, Pancaldi S, Baldisserotto C, Petrucci F, Impallaria A, Volpe L et al (2018c) Characterization of biodegradation in a 17th century easel painting and potential for a biological approach. PLoS One 13(12):e0207630. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0207630 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Cassini A, Plachouras D, Eckmanns T, Abu Sin M, Blank HP, Ducomble T et al (2016) Burden of six healthcare-associated infections on European population health: estimating incidence-based disability-adjusted life years through a population prevalence-based modelling study. PLoS Med 13(10):e1002150. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002150 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Cassini A, Hogberg LD, Plachouras D, Quattrocchi A, Hoxha A, Simonsen GS et al (2019) Attributable deaths and disability-adjusted life-years caused by infections with antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the EU and the European economic area in 2015: a population-level modelling analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 19(1):56–66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(18)30605-4 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Cornejo-Juarez P, Vilar-Compte D, Perez-Jimenez C, Namendys-Silva SA, Sandoval-Hernandez S, Volkow-Fernandez P (2015) The impact of hospital-acquired infections with multidrug-resistant bacteria in an oncology intensive care unit. Int J Infect Dis 31:31–34. doi:S1201-9712(14)01740-8 [pii]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ECDC (2013) Point prevalence survey of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals. https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/publications/Publications/healthcare-associated-infections-antimicrobial-use-PPS.pdf
- ECDC (2017a) A European one health action plan against antimicrobial resistance (AMR). European Commission. https://ec.europa.eu/health/amr/sites/amr/files/amr_action_plan_2017_en.pdf
- ECDC (2017b) Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance in Europe – 2017. www.ecdc.europa.eu. https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/documents/EARS-Net-report-2017-update-jan-2019.pdf
- EFSA (2010) Panel on Biological Hazards (BIOHAZ). Scientific opinion on the maintenance of the list of QPS microorganisms intentionally added to food or feed (2010 update). EFSA J 8. https://doi.org/10.2903/j.efsa.2010.1944
- Europe W (2017) Hand hygiene a key defence in Europe’s fight against antibiotic resistance. WHO Regional Office for Europe. http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/antimicrobial-resistance/news/news/2017/05/hand-hygiene-a-key-defence-in-europes-fight-against-antibiotic-resistance
- Ferjani S, Saidani M, Amine FS, Boutiba Ben Boubaker I (2015) A comparative study of antimicrobial resistance rates and phylogenetic groups of community-acquired versus hospital-acquired invasive Escherichia coli. Med Mal Infect 45(4):133–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medmal.2015.01.012 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ghelardi E, Celandroni F, Salvetti S, Gueye SA, Lupetti A, Senesi S (2015) Survival and persistence of Bacillus clausii in the human gastrointestinal tract following oral administration as spore-based probiotic formulation. J Appl Microbiol 119(2):552–559. https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12848 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hidron AI, Edwards JR, Patel J, Horan TC, Sievert DM, Pollock DA et al (2008) NHSN annual update: antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: annual summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006–2007. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29(11):996–1011. https://doi.org/10.1086/591861 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hill C, Guarner F, Reid G, Gibson GR, Merenstein DJ, Pot B et al (2014) Expert consensus document. The International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics consensus statement on the scope and appropriate use of the term probiotic. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 11(8):506–514. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2014.66 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hu H, Johani K, Gosbell IB, Jacombs AS, Almatroudi A, Whiteley GS et al (2015) Intensive care unit environmental surfaces are contaminated by multidrug-resistant bacteria in biofilms: combined results of conventional culture, pyrosequencing, scanning electron microscopy, and confocal laser microscopy. J Hosp Infect 91(1):35–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2015.05.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Monnier AA, Eisenstein BI, Hulscher ME, Gyssens IC, Group, D.-A. W (2018) Towards a global definition of responsible antibiotic use: results of an international multidisciplinary consensus procedure. J Antimicrob Chemother 73(suppl_6):vi3–vi16. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dky114 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- O’Neill J (2014) Review on antimicrobial resistance. Antimicrobial resistance: tackling a crisis for the health and wealth of nations. 2014. https://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/AMR%20Review%20Paper%20-%20Tackling%20a%20crisis%20for%20the%20health%20and%20wealth%20of%20nations_1.pdf
- Parajuli NP, Acharya SP, Mishra SK, Parajuli K, Rijal BP, Pokhrel BM (2017) High burden of antimicrobial resistance among gram negative bacteria causing healthcare associated infections in a critical care unit of Nepal. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 6:67. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13756-017-0222-z CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Pinchuk IV, Bressollier P, Verneuil B, Fenet B, Sorokulova IB, Megraud F et al (2001) In vitro anti-helicobacter pylori activity of the probiotic strain Bacillus subtilis 3 is due to secretion of antibiotics. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45(11):3156–3161. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.45.11.3156-3161.2001 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rayes N, Seehofer D, Hansen S, Boucsein K, Muller AR, Serke S et al (2002) Early enteral supply of lactobacillus and fiber versus selective bowel decontamination: a controlled trial in liver transplant recipients. Transplantation 74(1):123–127. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12134110 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ripert G, Racedo SM, Elie AM, Jacquot C, Bressollier P, Urdaci MC (2016) Secreted compounds of the probiotic Bacillus clausii strain O/C inhibit the cytotoxic effects induced by Clostridium difficile and Bacillus cereus toxins. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 60(6):3445–3454. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.02815-15 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sievert DM, Ricks P, Edwards JR, Schneider A, Patel J, Srinivasan A et al (2013) Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009-2010. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 34(1):1–14. https://doi.org/10.1086/668770 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Suetens C, Hopkins S, Kolman J, Diaz Högberg L (2013) Point prevalence survey of healthcare associated infections and antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, Stockholm. http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/publications/healthcare-associated-infections-antimicrobial-usepps.pdf Google Scholar
- Wand ME, Bock LJ, Bonney LC, Sutton JM (2017) Mechanisms of increased resistance to chlorhexidine and cross-resistance to Colistin following exposure of Klebsiella pneumoniae clinical isolates to chlorhexidine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61(1). https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.01162-16
- Weiner LM, Webb AK, Limbago B, Dudeck MA, Patel J, Kallen AJ et al (2016) Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011-2014. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 37(11):1288–1301. https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2016.174 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- WHO (2015) Global action plan on antimicrobial resistance. WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publicatio Data. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/193736/9789241509763_eng.pdf?sequence=1
- WHO (2017) Global priority list of antibiotic-resistant bacteria to guide research, discovery, and development of new antibiotics. http://www.who.int/medicines/publications/global-priority-list-antibiotic-resistant-bacteria/en/
- WHO & FDA (2001) Health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria. World Health Organization [online]. Available at: http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/fs_management/en/probiotics.pdf