System Identification of Self-Organizing Robotic Swarms
We discuss system identification of self-organizing, swarm robotic systems using a “gray-box” approach, based on probabilistic macroscopic models. Using a well known case study concerned with the autonomous inspection of a regular structure by a swarm of miniature robots, we show how to achieve highly accurate predictive models by combining previously developed probabilistic modeling and calibration methods, with parameter optimization based on experimental data (80 experiments involving 5–20 real robots).
Key properties of the optimization process are outlined with the help of a simple scenario and a model that can be solved analytically. Concepts are then validated numerically for the more complex, non-linear inspection scenario.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Arkin. Behavior-Based Robotics. The MIT press, Cambridge, MA, USA, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Caprari and R. Siegwart. Mobile micro-robots ready to use: Alice. In Proceedings of IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pages 3295–3300, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.N. Correll and A. Martinoli. Modeling and optimization of a swarm-intelligent inspection system. In Proceedings of the 7th Symposium on Distributed Autonomous Robotic System (DARS). To appear in Springer Distributed Autonomous Systems VII, 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.N. Correll and A. Martinoli. Collective inspection of regular structures using a swarm of miniature robots. In Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium of Experimental Robotics (ISER), pages 375–385. Springer Tracts for Advanced Robotics (STAR), Vol. 21., 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.Rolf Johansson. System Modeling and Identification. Prentice Hall, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.Lennart Ljung. System Identification — Theory for the User. Prentice Hall, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Prorok. Multi-level modeling of swarm robotic inspection. Master’s thesis, SWIS-MP1, École Polytechnique Fédérale Lausanne, 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Sugawara, M. Sano, I. Yoshihara, and K. Abe. Cooperative behavior of interacting robots. Artificial Life and Robotics, 2:62–67.Google Scholar