Law invariant risk measures have the Fatou property
S. Kusuoka [K01, Theorem 4] gave an interesting dual characterization of law invariant coherent risk measures, satisfying the Fatou property. The latter property was introduced by F. Delbaen [D 02]. In the present note we extend Kusuoka’s characterization in two directions, the first one being rather standard, while the second one is somewhat surprising. Firstly we generalize — similarly as M. Fritelli and E. Rossaza Gianin [FG 05] — from the notion of coherent risk measures to the more general notion of convex risk measures as introduced by H. Föllmer and A. Schied [FS 04]. Secondly — and more importantly — we show that the hypothesis of Fatou property may actually be dropped as it is automatically implied by the hypothesis of law invariance.
We also introduce the notion of the Lebesgue property of a convex risk measure, where the inequality in the definition of the Fatou property is replaced by an equality, and give some dual characterizations of this property.
Key wordslaw-invariance cash-invariance Fatou and Lebesgue properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ADEH 97]
- [D02]Delbaen, F.: Coherent risk measure of risk on general probability spaces. In: Advances in Finance and Stochastics, Essays in Honor of Dieter Sondermann (Sandmann, K., Schonbucher, P.J. eds.). pp. 1–37 Springer, Berlin 2002Google Scholar
- [D03]Delbaen, F.: Coherent risk measures. Lecture Notes of Scuola Normale Pisa (2003)Google Scholar
- [D05]Delbaen, F.: Private communication referring to a forthcoming paper “Coherent risk measures” (2005)Google Scholar
- [ET74]Ekeland, I., Temam, R.: Analyse Convexe et Problèmes Variationnels. Dunod Gauthier-Villars 1974Google Scholar
- [FS 04]Föllmer, H., Schied, A.: Stochastic Finance, Second Edition. de Gruyter 2004Google Scholar
- [JST05]Jouini, E., Schachermayer, W., Touzi, N.: Optimal risk sharing with law invariant monetary utility functions. preprint (2005)Google Scholar
- [JN 04]Jouini, E., Napp, C: Conditional comonotonicity. Decisions in Economics and Finance 28, 153–166Google Scholar
- [K 05]Krätschmer, V.: Robust representation of convex risk measures by probability measures. to appear in Finance and Stochastics (2005)Google Scholar
- [K 01]
- [Ph 93]Phelps, R.R.: Convex functions, monotone operators and differentiability. Lecture Notes in Math. 1364, Springer 1993Google Scholar
- [R 97]Rockafellar, R.T.: Convex Analysis. Princeton Landmarks in Mathematics, Princeton University Press 1997Google Scholar
- [S 72]