The Fragile Base Class Problem and Its Impact on Component Systems
In this paper we study applicability of the code inheritance mechanism to the domain of open component systems in light of so-called fragile base class problem. We propose a system architecture based on disciplined inheritance and present three check lists for component framework designers, component framework developers, and its users.
KeywordsBase Class Modus Cation Check List Extension Class Instance Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IBM Corporation. IBM’s System Object Model (SOM): Making Reuse a Reality. IBM Corporation, Object Technology Products Group, Austin, Texas. http://www.developer.ibm.com/library/ref/reference.html
- 2.Walter L. Hürsch. Should Superclass be Abstract? Proceedings ECOOP’94, M. Tokoro, R. Pareschi (Ed.), LNCS 821, Springer-Verlag, Bologna, Italy 1994, pp.12–31.Google Scholar
- 3.Gregor Kiczales, John Lamping. Issues in the design and specification of class libraries. OOPSLA’ 92 Proceedings, pp. 435–451, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Leonid Mikhajlov, Emil Sekerinski. The Fragile Base Class Problem and Its Solution. TUCS Technical Report No 117, Turku Centre for Computer Science, Turku, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Cune Pfister, Clemens Szyperski. Oberon/F Framework. Tutorial and Reference. Oberon microsystems, Inc., 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Alan Snyder. Encapsulation and Inheritance in Object-Oriented Programming Languages. OOPSLA’ 86 Proceedings, pp.38–45, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Patric Steyaert, Carine Lucas, Kim Mens, Theo D’Hondt. Reuse Contracts: Managing the Evolution of Reusable Assets. OOPSLA’ 96 Proceedings, pp. 268–285, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.Bjarne Stroustrup. The C++ Programming Language. Addison-Wesley, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.David Taenzer, Murthy Gandi, Sunil Podar. Problems in Object-Oriented Software Reuse. In Proceedings ECOOP’89, S. Cook (Ed.), Cambridge University Press. Nottingham, July 10–14, 1989, pp.25–38.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Williams and C. Kinde. The Component Object Model: Technical Overview. Dr. Dobbs Journal, December 1994.Google Scholar