Elaborating Models of Algebraic Expression-Writing
This paper discusses the refinement of the algebraic expression-writing rules for the PAT Algebra I tutor, between 1992 and 1997. Direct observation of students in class, step-by-step PAT tutor protocols tracing student behavior, and statistical analysis of protocol data, have all informed our understanding of students’ skills, and our refinement of this part of PAT’s production model.
KeywordsProduction Rule Problem Situation Algebraic Expression Student Success Pattern Finder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Corbett, A.T., Anderson, J.R., Carver, V.H. and Brancolini, S.A.: Individual differences and predictive validity in student modeling. In A. Ram & K. Eiselt (eds.) The Proceedings of the Sixteenth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum (1994) 526Google Scholar
- 3.Hadley, W.S.: CMU PACT Center Mathematics Curriculum, 1997–1998. Pittsburgh, PA: PACT Center, Carnegie Mellon University (1997) 524Google Scholar
- 4.Heffernan, N. T., Koedinger, K. R.: The composition effect in symbolizing: The role of symbol production vs. text comprehension, Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum (1997) 532Google Scholar
- 5.Koedinger, K. R., Anderson, J. R.: Illustrating principled design: The early evolution of a cognitive tutor for algebra symbolization. To appear in Interactive Learning Environments. 526, 527, 532, 532Google Scholar
- 6.Koedinger, K. R., Anderson, J.R., Hadley, W.H., Mark, M. A.: Intelligent tutoring goes to school in the big city. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 8 (1997), 30–43 524, 524, 533Google Scholar
- 7.Koedinger, K. R. Sueker, E.L.F.: PAT goes to college: Evaluating a cognitive tutor for developmental mathematics. In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on the Learning Sciences, Charlottesville, VA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (1996) 524, 533Google Scholar
- 8.National Council of Teachers of Mathematics: Curriculum and Evaluation Standards for School Mathematics. Reston, VA: The Council (1989) 524Google Scholar