Maximum Weight Triangulation and Its Application on Graph Drawing
In this paper, we investigate the maximum weight triangulation of a polygon inscribed in a circle (simply inscribed polygon). A complete characterization of maximum weight triangulation of such polygons has been obtained. As a consequence of this characterization, an O(n 2) algorithm for finding the maximum weight triangulation of an inscribed n-gon is designed. In case of a regular polygon, the complexity of this algorithm can be reduced to O(n). We also show that a tree admits a maximum weight drawing if its internal node connects at most 2 non-leaf nodes. The drawing can be done in O(n) time. Furthermore, we prove a property of maximum planar graphs which do not admit a maximum weight drawing on any set of convex points.
KeywordsSpan Tree Maximum Weight Minimum Weight Boundary Edge Regular Polygon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BeEp92]Bern M. and Eppstein D., Mesh generation and optimal triangulation, Technical Report, Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 1992.Google Scholar
- [DM96]Dickerson M., Montague M., The exact minimum weight triangulation, Proc. 12th Ann. Symp. Computational Geometry, Philadelphia, Association for Computing Machinery, 1996, pp..Google Scholar
- [EW94]Eades P. and Whitesides S., The realization problem for Euclidean minimum spanning tree is NP-hard, Proceedings of 10th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, Stony Brook, NY (1994), pp. 49–56.Google Scholar
- [Gilb79]Gilbert P., New results on planar triangulations, Tech. Rep. ACT-15 (1979), Coord. Sci. Lab., University of Illinois at Urbana.Google Scholar
- [LeLi90]Lingas A., A new heuristic for minimum weight triangulation, SIAM J. Algebraic Discrete Methods, (1987), pp. 646–658.Google Scholar
- [MS91]Monna C. and Suri S., Transitions in geometric minimum spanning trees, Proceedings of 7th ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, North Conway, NH (1991), pp.239–249.Google Scholar
- [PrSh85]Preparata F. and Shamos M., Computational Geometry (1985), Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar