A Probabilistic Zero-Test for Expressions Involving Roots of Rational Numbers
Given an expression E using +, −, *, /, with operands from Z and from the set of real roots of integers, we describe a probabilistic algorithm that decides whether E = 0. The algorithms has a one-sided error. If E = 0, then the algorithm will give the correct answer. If E ≠ 0, then the error probability can be made arbitrarily small. The algorithm has been implemented and is expected to be practical.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. Blömer, “Computing Sums of Radicals in Polynomial Time”, Proc. 32nd Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science 1991, pp. 670–677.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Blömer, “Denesting Ramanujan’s Nested Radicals”, Proc. 33nd Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science 1992, pp. 447–456.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Blömer, “Denesting by Bounded Degree Radicals”, Proc. 5th European Symposium on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1284, pp. 53–63, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Burnickel, K. Mehlhorn, S. Schirra, “How to Compute the Voronoi Diagrams of Line Segments”, Proc. 2nd European Symposium on Algorithms, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 855, pp. 227–239, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Burnikel, R. Fleischer, K. Mehlhorn, S. Schirra, “A Strong and Easily Computable Separation Bound for Arithmetic Expressions Involving Radicals”, Proc. 8th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1997, pp. 702–709.Google Scholar
- 8.Z.-Z. Chen. M.-Y. Kao, “Reducing Randomness via Irrational Numbers”, Proc. 29th Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1997, pp. 200–209.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Horng, M.-D. Huang, “Simplifying Nested Radicals and Solving Polynomials by Radicals in Minimum Depth”, Proc. 31st Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science 1990, pp. 847–854.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Lang, Algebra, 3rd edition, Addison-Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar
- 12.G. Liotta, F. P. Preparata, R. Tamassia, “Robust Proximity Queries in Implicit Voronoi Diagrams”, Technical Report RI 02912-1910, Center for Geometric Computation, Department of Computer Science, Brown University, 1996.Google Scholar
- 13.M. Mignotte, “Identification of Algebraic Numbers”, Journal of Algorithms, Vol. 3(3), 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.C. L. Siegel, “Algebraische Abhängigkeit von Wurzeln”, Acta Arithmetica, Vol. 21, pp. 59–64, 1971.Google Scholar
- 15.C. K. Yap, “Towards Exact Geometric Computation”, Proc. Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, 1993, pp. 405–419.Google Scholar
- 16.C. K. Yap, T. Dubé “The Exact Computation Paradigm”, in D. Z. Du, F. Hwang, editors, Computing in Euclidean Geometry, World Scientific Press, 1995.Google Scholar