Interaction patterns detection in PVM programs to support simulation
In this paper we propose a solution, based on static analysis and statistical techniques, for the problem of the determination of the possible interaction patterns among the processes of a PVM message passing program, when these present a data-dependent behavior. A prototypic implementation of this technique has been coupled with MPSS, a tool for simulation and performance prediction of PVM message passing programs, in order to overcome its unability to deal with non-deterministic and data dependent programs, and thus to provide for a complete program characterization in terms of idle-, cpu-, communication and synchronization time, for irregular and data-dependent programs.
KeywordsExecution Time Performance Prediction Synchronization Time Prototypic Implementation Symbolic Execution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Aversa, N. Mazzocca, U. Villano. PS: a Simulator for Heterogeneous Computing Environments. In Massively Parallel Processing Applications and Development, L. Dekker, W. Smit and J. C. Zuidervaart eds., pages 335–343, Elsevier, Amsterdam (NE), 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Aversa, A. Mazzeo, N. Mazzocca, U. Villano. The Use of Simulation for Software Development in Heterogeneous Computing Environments. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Par. and Distr. Processing Techniques and Applications, pages 581–590, Nov. 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Aversa, N. Mazzocca, U. Villano. Design of a Simulator of Heterogeneous Computing Environments. to be published in Simulation Practice and Theory.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Aversa, N. Mazzocca, L. Romano, U. Villano. MPSS: a Simulator of Message-Passing Applications for Heterogeneous Computing Environments. In Proc. Int. Conf. on Massively Parallel Computing Systems, IEEE, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.E. A. Brewer, W. E. Weihl. Developing Parallel Applications Using High-Performance Simulation. In Proc. 1993 ONR/ACM Workshop on Parallel and Distr. Debugging, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Di Martino and G. Iannello, “Parallelization of Nonsimultaneous Iterative Methods for Systems of Linear Equations”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science n. 854, Sett. 1994, Springer-Verlag els.Google Scholar
- 8.T. Fahringer. Automatic Performance Prediction of Parallel Programs. Kluwer Academic, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Geist et al.. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine — A Users Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Khokhar, V. K. Prasanna, M. E. Shaaban, C. Wang. Heterogeneous Computing: Challenges and Opportunities. IEEE Computer, 26(6):18–27, June 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.C. M. Pancake, M. L. Simmons, J. C. Yan. Performance Evaluation Tools for Parallel and Distributed Systems. IEEE Computer, 28(11):16–19, Nov. 1995.Google Scholar