Why are PVM and MPI so different?
PVM and MPI are often compared. These comparisons usually start with the unspoken assumption that PVM and MPI represent different solutions to the same problem. In this paper we show that, in fact, the two systems often are solving different problems. In cases where the problems do match but the solutions chosen by PVM and MPI are different, we explain the reasons for the differences. Usually such differences can be traced to explicit differences in the goals of the two systems, their origins, or the relationship between their specifications and their implementations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. J. Dongarra, G. A. Geist, R. J. Manchek, and P. M. Papadopoulos. Adding context and static groups into PVM. http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/context.ps, July 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.A. J. Ferrari and V. S. Sunderam. TPVM: Distributed concurrent computing with lightweight processes. In IEEE, editor, Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995. IEEE catalog no. 95TB8075.Google Scholar
- 3.Message Passing Interface Forum. MPI: A message-passing interface standard. International Journal of Supercomputer Applications, 8(3/4), 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, and Vaidy Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine: A Users' Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, and Vaidy Sunderam. PVM 3 Users Guide and Reference Manual. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, May 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.G. A. Geist, J. A. Kohl, and P. M. Papadopoulos. PVM and MPI: A comparison of features. Calculateurs Paralleles, 8(2), 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, and Anthony Skjellum. Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message Passing Interface. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.J. C. Hardwick. Porting a vector library: a comparison of MPI, Paris, CMMD and PVM. In IEEE, editor, Proceedings of the 1994 Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference, pages 68–77, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Hempel. The status of the MPI message-passing standard and its relation to PVM. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1156:14–21, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.Steven A. Moyer and V. S. Sunderam. PIOUS: A scalable parallel 1/O system for distributed computing environments. In Proceedings of the Scalable High-Performance Computing Conference, pages 71–78, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.William Saphir. Devil's advocate: Reasons not to use PVM. PVM User Group Meeting, May 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.Marc Snir, Steve Otto, Steven Huss-Lederman, David Walker, and Jack Dongarra. MPI: The Complete Reference. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.Web page: Introduction to the totalview debugger. http://www.dolphinics.com/tw/tv/totalview.htmi.Google Scholar