Information retrieval: Still butting heads with natural language processing?
Information retrieval (IR) is about finding documents which may be of relevance to a user's query, from within a corpus or collection of texts. While apparently a simple task at first glance, IR is in fact a hard problem because of the subtleties introduced by the use of natural language in both documents and in queries. The automatic processing of natural language clearly represents significant potential for improving information retrieval tasks because of the dominance of the natural language medium on the whole IR task. Information extraction is also fundamentally about dealing with natural language albeit for a different function. It is thus of interest to the IE community to see how a related task, perhaps the most-related task, IR, has managed to use the same NLP base technology in its development so far. This is an especially valid comparison to make since IR has been the subject of research and development and has been delivering working solutions for many decades whereas IE is a more recent and emerging technology.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval Noun Phrase Query Expansion Word Sense Information Retrieval System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cunningham, H.: Information Extraction — A User Guide. Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield Research Memo CS-97-02, January 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Evans, D.A., Milić-Frayling, Lefferts, R.G.: CLARIT TRECA Experiments. in .Google Scholar
- 8.Furnas, G.W., Deerwester, S., Dumais, S.T., Landauer, T.K., Harshman, R.A., Streeter, R.A., and Lochbaum, K.E.: Information Retrieval Using a Singular Value decomposition Model of Latent Semantic Indexing. in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Grenoble, France, ACM Press, 465–480, 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.Harman, D.H. (Ed.): The Fourth Text Retrieval Conference. NIST Special Publication 500–236, 1996.Google Scholar
- 12.Harman, D.H. (Ed.): The Fifth Text Retrieval Conference. NIST Special Publication (in press), 1997.Google Scholar
- 13.Hull, D.: Stemming Algorithms — A Case Study for Detailed Evaluation. Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 47(1), 1.996.Google Scholar
- 14.Finding the Right Image: Content-Based Image Retrieval Systems. Special issue of IEEE Computer, V.N. Gudivada and V.V. Raghavan (Eds.), 28(9), 1995.Google Scholar
- 15.Kelledy, F. and Smeaton, A.F.: Phrase Indexing for Information Retrieval. In. Information retrieval Research, Aberdeen, 1997: Proceedings of the 19th Annual BCS-IRSG Colloquium on IR Research, London: Springer-Verlag, in press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 19.Robertson, S.E. and Sparck Jones, K.: Simple, Proven Approaches to Text Retrieval. Technical Report 356, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.Salton, G.: Approaches to Passage retrieval in Full Text information Systems. in: Proceeedings of the 16th ACM-SIGIR. Conference, Pittsburgh, 1993, 49–58, ACM Press.Google Scholar
- 21.Sanderson, M.: Word Sense Disambiguation and Information Retrieval. in Proc. 17th Annual International ACM-SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Dublin, Ireland, 142–151, Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- 22.Sanderson, M.: Word Sense Disambiguation and Information Retrieval. PhD thesis, Department of Computing Science, University of Glasgow, Scotland, 1997.Google Scholar
- 23.Singhal, A., Buckley, C. and Mitra, M.: Pivoted Document Length Normalization. in Proceedings of the 19th Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Zürich, Switzerland, 21–29, ACM Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 25.Smeaton, A.F. TREC-4 Experiments at Dublin City University: Thresholding Posting Lists, Query Expansion with WordNet and POS Tagging of Spanish. in .Google Scholar
- 26.Smeaton, A.F.: Using NLP or NLP Resources for Information Retrieval Tasks. in Natural Language Information Retrieval T. Strzalkowski (Ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, (in press), 1997.Google Scholar
- 27.Smeaton, A.F. and Harman, D.H.: TREC and its Impact on Europe ? Journal of Information Science, (in press) 1997.Google Scholar
- 28.Strzalkowski, T. and Carbello, J.P.: Natural Language Information Retrieval: TRECA Report. in .Google Scholar
- 29.van Rijsbergen, C.J.: Information Retrieval (2nd Edition). Butterworths, 1979.Google Scholar