Randomization and nondeterminism are comparable for ordered read-once branching programs
f n can be computed by polynomial size randomized ordered read-once branching program with one sided small error;
any nondeterministic ordered read-once branching program that computes f n has exponential size.
g n can be computed by polynomial size nondeterministic ordered read-once branching program;
any two-sided error randomized ordered read-once branching program that computes f n has exponential size.
These mean that BPP and NP are incomparable in the context of ordered read-once branching program.
KeywordsBoolean Function Binary Decision Diagram Steklov Mathematical Institute Polynomial Size Exponential Size
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.F. Ablayev and M. Karpinski, On the power of randomized branching programs, in Proceedings of the ICALP'96, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1099, (1996), 348–356.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Ablayev and M. Karpinski, On the power of randomized branching programs, manuscript (generalization of ICALP'96 paper results for the case of pure boolean function), available at http://www.ksu.ru/∼ablayevGoogle Scholar
- 7.J. Dias da Silva and Y. Hamidoune, Cyclic spaces for Grassmann derivatives and additive theory, Bull. London Math. Soc., 26, (1994), 140–146.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Ponsio, A lower bound for integer multiplication with read-once branching programs, Proceedings of the 27-th STOC, (1995), 130–139.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Razborov, Lower bounds for deterministic and nondeterministic branching programs, in Proceedings of the FCT'91, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 529, (1991), 47–60.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Sauerhoff, Lower bounds for the RP-OBDD-Size, manuscript, personal communication.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Savicky, S. Zak, A large lower bound for 1-branching programs, Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity, Revision 01 of TR96-036, (1996), available at http://www.eccc.uni-trier.de/eccc/Google Scholar
- 12.P. Savicky, S. Zak, A hierarchy for (1, +k)-branching programs with respect to k, Electronic Colloquium on Computational Complexity, TR96-050, (1996), available at http://www.eccc.uni-trier.de/eccc/Google Scholar
- 13.J. Simon and M. Szegedy, A new lower bound theorem for read-only-once branching programs and its applications, Advances in Computational Complexity Theory, ed. Jin-Yi Cai, DIMACS Series, 13, AMS (1993), 183–193.Google Scholar
- 14.I. Wegener, The complexity of Boolean functions. Wiley-Teubner Series in Comp. Sci., New York-Stuttgart, 1987.Google Scholar
- 16.A. C. Yao, Some Complexity Questions Related to Distributive Computing, in Proc. of the 11th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing, (1979), 209–213.Google Scholar