A rule-based CQL for 2-dimensional tables
We describe the core of a rule-based CQL, devoted to the manipulation of 2- dimensional tabular databases. The rules provide a simple and declarative way to restructure and query tables, and the constraints allow to define cell contents by formulas over concrete domains. We define a model-theoretic semantics and develop an equivalent fixpoint theory that leads to a naive evaluation procedure.
KeywordsOperational Semantic Cell Reference Ground Atom Constraint Language Concrete Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Abiteboul and S. Grumbach. A rule-based language with functions and sets. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 16(1):1–30, March 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Abiteboul and R. Hull. Data functions, datalog and negation. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 143–153, Chicago, Illinois, USA, June 1988. ACM press.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Abiteboul, R. Hull, and V. Vianu. Foundations of databases. Addison-Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Agrawal, A. Gupta, and S. Sarawagi. Modeling multidimensional databases. Research report, IBM Almaden research center, 650 Harry road, San Jose, CA 95120, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Chen, M. Kifer, and D.S. Warren. HiLog: a foundation for higher-order logic programming. Journal of Logic Programming, 15(3):187–230, February 1993.Google Scholar
- 6.E. F. Codd, S. B. Codd, and C. T. Salley. Providing olap (on-line analytical processing) to user-analysts: An IT mandate. White paper — URL:http://www.arborsoft.com/papers/coddTOC.html, 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Finkelstein. Understanding the need for on-line analytical servers. White paper — URL:http://www.arborsoft.com/papers/finkTOC.html, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Gyssens, L. V. S. Lakshmanan, and I. N. Subramanian. Tables as a paradigm for querying and restructuring. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, Montreal, PQ, Canada, June 1996. ACM press.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Jaffar and J.-L. Lassez. Constraint logic programming. In Proceedings of the Fourteenth ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 111–119, Munich, Germany, January 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.P. C. Kanellakis, G. M. Kuper, and P. Z. Revesz. Constraint query langages. In Proceedings of the Ninth ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 299–313, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, April 1990. ACM press.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Kifer, G. Lausen, and J. Wu. Logical foundations of object-oriented and framebased languages. Journal of the ACM, 42(4):741–843, July 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.P. Z. Revesz. A closed form for datalog queries with integer order. In S. Abiteboul and P. C. Kanellakis, editors, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Database Theory, volume 470 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 187–201, Paris, France, December 1990. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar