Monitoring of performance of PVM applications on virtual network computer
We present a toolkit of monitoring and performance analysis facilities together with sample monitoring sessions and results of performance analysis of three parallel programs running under PVM on networked workstations. A trace file collected by Tape/PVM is converted into SDDF metaformat and then it is visualized with Pablo based tool. Performance is analyzed also with a set of metrics.
KeywordsParallel Program Time Usage Trace Data Trace File Performance Analysis Tool
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hollingsworth, J., Lumpp, J.E., Jr. and Miller, B.P., “Performance measurement of parallel programs”, in: Tvrdik, P., Proc. of ISIPALA'93, Prague, July 1993, pp. 239–254.Google Scholar
- 2.Cheng, D.Y., “A Survey of Parallel Programming Languages and Tools”, Computer Sciences Corporation, NASA Ames Research Center, Report RND-93-005 March 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.Bubak M., Funika W., Mościński J., Tasak D. “Pablo based monitoring tool for PVM applications” in: Jack Dongarra, Kaj Madsen, Jerzy Wasniewski (Eds), PARA95 — Applied Parallel Computing, Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1041 (1996) pp. 69–78.Google Scholar
- 4.Geist, A., Beguelin, A., Dongarra, J., Jiang, W., Manchek, R., Sunderam, V., “PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine”, MIT Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Heath, M.T. Etheridge, J.A., “Visualizing the performance of parallel programs”, IEEE Software September 1991, pp. 29–39.Google Scholar
- 6.Maillet, E., “TAPE/PVM an efficient performance monitor for PVM applications. User's guide”, IMAG-Équipe APACHE, Grenoble, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.Reed, D.A. Aydt, R., Madhyastha, T.M., Noe, R.J., Shields, K.A., and Schwartz, B.W., “The Pablo Performance Analysis Environment”, Technical Report, Dept. of Comp. Sci., University of Illinois, 1992.Google Scholar
- 8.Bubak, M., Mościński, J., Pogoda, M., “Distributed 2-D molecular dynamics simulation on networked workstations and multiprocessors”, in: Liddell, H., Colbrook, A., Hertzberger, B., Sloot, P., (eds.), Proc. Int. Conf. High Performance Computing and Networking, Brussels, Belgium, April 1996, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1067, pp. 243–250, Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.Bubak, M., Mościński, J., Słota, R., “FHP lattice gas on networked workstations”, in: Gruber, R., Tomassini, M., (eds) The 6th Joint EPS-APS International Conference on Physics Computing, Lugano, Switzerland, August 22–26, 1994, pp. 427–430.Google Scholar
- 10.Bubak, M., Chrobak, R., Kitowski, J., Mościński, J., Pietrzyk, M., “Parallel finite element calculations of plastic deformations on Exemplar SPP1000 and on networked workstations”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 60 (1996) 409–413.Google Scholar