On fairness in terminating and reactive programs
In the setting of boundedly nondeterministic action systems, we give a general definition of the notion of fairness. We provide results that support the top-down development of fair designs and extend them from terminating action systems to non-terminating action systems. One strength of our approach is the similarity of the results to those used for the standard developments. Another is the generality of the notion of fairness which it captures.
KeywordsAction System Action Sequence Proof Rule Nondeterministic Choice Weak Precondition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bac89]R. J.R. Back, A Method of Refining Atomicity in Parallel Algorithms, LNCS 366, Springer Verlag, 1989Google Scholar
- [BM95]M.J. Butler, C.C. Morgan, Action Systems, Unbounded Nondeterminism, and Infinite Traces, Formal Aspects of Computing, Vol. 7, 1995Google Scholar
- [Boo82]H.J. Boom, A Weaker Precondition for Loops, ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol.4, 1982Google Scholar
- [BX95]R.J.R. Back, Q.W. Xu, Fairness in Action Systems, unpublished, 1995Google Scholar
- [CM88]K.M. Chandy, J. Misra, Parallel Program Design: A Foundation, Addison-Wesley, 1988Google Scholar
- [DS90]E.W. Dijkstra, C.S. Scholten, Predicate Calculus and Program Semantics, Springer-Verlag, 1990Google Scholar
- [Fra86]N. Francez, Fairness, Springer Verlag, 1986Google Scholar
- [Hes95]W.H. Hesselink, Safety and Progress of Recursive Procedures, Formal Aspects of Computing, Vol. 7, 1995Google Scholar
- [MMSS95]C.C. Morgan, A.K. McIver, K. Seidel, J.W. Sanders, Probabilistic Predicate Transformers, Technical Report TR-4-95, Programming Research Group, Oxford University Computing Laboratory, 1995Google Scholar
- [Mor90]J.M. Morris, Temporal Predicate Transformers and Fair Termination, Acta Informatica, Vol. 27, 1990Google Scholar
- [MP92]Z. Manna, A. Pnueli, The Temporal Logic of Reactive and Concurrent Systems, Springer-Verlag, 1992Google Scholar
- [Wab96]A.K. Wabenhorst, Developing Fairness in Terminating and Reactive Programs, Technical Report TR-1-96, Programming Research Group, Oxford University, 1996, http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/publications/tr/TR-l-96.htmlGoogle Scholar