ELM-ART: An intelligent tutoring system on world wide web
Making ITS available on the World Wide Web (WWW) is a way to integrate the flexibility and intelligence of ITS with world-wide availability of WWW applications. This paper discusses the problems of developing WWW-available ITS and, in particular, the problem of porting existing ITS to a WWW platform. We present the system ELM-ART which is a WWW-based ITS to support learning programming in Lisp. ELM-ART demonstrates how several known ITS technologies can be implemented in WWW context.
KeywordsIntelligent Analysis Human Teacher Common Lisp Manual Page Electronic Textbook
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beaumont, I. and Brusilovsky, P. (1995) ‘Educational applications of adaptive hypermedia'. In: K. Nordby, P. Helmersen, D. J. Gilmore and S. A. Arnesen (eds.): Human-Computer Interaction. London: Chapman & Hall, pp. 410–414.Google Scholar
- Brusilovsky, P. (1995) ‘Intelligent tutoring systems for World-Wide Web'. Proceedings of Third International WWW Conference, Darmstadt, pp. 42–45.Google Scholar
- Brusilovsky, P. L. (1992) ‘A framework for intelligent knowledge sequencing and task sequencing'. In: C. Frasson, G. Gauthier and G. I. McCalla (eds.): Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 499–506.Google Scholar
- Mallery, J. C. (1994) ‘A Common LISP hypermedia server'. Proceedings of the First International Conference on the World-Wide Web.Google Scholar
- Schwarz, E., Brusilovsky, P., and Weber, G. (1996) ‘World-wide intelligent textbooks'. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA'95 — World conference on educational multimedia and hypermedia, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- Weber, G. (1995) ‘Examples and remindings in a case-based help system'. In: J.-P. Haton, M. Keane and M. Manago (eds.): Topics in case-based reasoning. Selected Papers of the Second European Workshop, EWCBR-94, Chantilly, France. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, pp. 165–177.Google Scholar
- Weber, G. (1996) ‘Episodic learner modeling'. Cognitive Science.Google Scholar
- Weber, G. and Möllenberg, A. (1994) ‘ELM-PE: A knowledge-based programming environment for learning LISP'. Proceedings of ED-MEDIA '94, Vancouver, Canada, pp. 557–562.Google Scholar