Semantic query optimization for bottom-up evaluation
Semantic query optimization uses semantic knowledge in databases (represented in the form of integrity constraints) to rewrite queries and logic programs to achieve efficient query evaluation. Much work has been done to develop various techniques for optimization. Most of it, however, is applicable to top-down query evaluation strategies. Moreover, little attention has been paid to the cost of the optimization. We address the issue of semantic query optimization for bottom-up query evaluation strategies with an emphasis on overall efficiency. We focus on a single optimization technique, join elimination. We discuss factors that influence the cost of semantic optimization, and present two different abstract algorithms for optimization. The first pre-processes a query statically before it is evaluated; the second combines query evaluation with semantic optimization using heuristics to achieve the largest possible savings.
KeywordsIntelligent Information Systems Databases Semantic Query Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- U. Chakravarthy, J. Grant, and J. Minker. Logic-based approach to semantic query optimization. ACM TODS, 15(2):162–207, June 1990.Google Scholar
- T. Gaasterland and J. Lobo. Processing negation and disjunction in logic programs through integrity constraints. Journal of Intel. Inf. Sys., 2(3), 1993.Google Scholar
- P. Godfrey. An Architecture and Implementation for a Cooperative Database System. PhD thesis, University of Maryland, Dept. of CS, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA, May 1996.Google Scholar
- P. Godfrey, J. Minker, and L. Novik. An architecture for a cooperative database system. In W. Litwin and T. Risch, eds., Proc. of the 1st Int. Conf. on Applications of Databases, LNCS 819, pages 3–24. Springer Verlag, Vadstena, Sweden, June 1994.Google Scholar
- J.J. King. Quist: A system for semantic query optimization in relational databases. Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on VLDB, pages 510–517, September 1981.Google Scholar
- Laks V.S. Lakshmanan and R. Missaoui. On semantic query optimization in deductive databases. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, pages 368–375, 1992.Google Scholar
- S. Lee, L.J.Henschen, and G.Z. Qadah. Semantic query reformulation in deductive databases. In Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Eng., pages 232–239, Los Amitos, CA, 1991. IEEE CS Press.Google Scholar
- A.Y. Levy and Y. Sagiv. Semantic query optimization in datalog programs. In Proc. PODS, 1995.Google Scholar
- T. Sellis. Global query optimization. Proc. 1986 ACM-SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, May 1986.Google Scholar
- S.T. Shenoy and Z.M. Ozsoyoglu. Design and implementation of a semantic query optimizer. IEEE TKDE, 1(3):344–361, Sept. 1989.Google Scholar
- J.D. Ullman. Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems I. Principles of Computer Science Series. CS Press, Rockville, MD 20850, 1988.Google Scholar