Particle tracking in space time sequences
A particle tracking technique at high particle concentration for the evaluation of flow fields beneath water waves is described. A 1–4 cm thick light sheet parallel to the main wave propagation direction was used to illuminate small polystyrol seeding particles. The depth of the light sheet was chosen such that the particles stay long enough in the illuminated area to enable tracking. An area of up to 14.0×10.0 cm2 is observed by a CCD camera. An automatic tracking algorithm is described to 800 particles/image, yielding both Lagrangian and Eulerian vector field. Test measurements show that the standard deviation for the velocity estimation is below 3%.
KeywordsParticle Image Velocimetry Water Wave Particle Tracking Light Sheet Correspondence Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Adamczyk and Rimai, 88]Adamczyk, A.A., Rimai, L.: 1988, ‘2-Dimensional Particle Tracking Velocimetry (PTV): Technique and image processing algorithm', Experiments in Fluids 6, 373–380, Springer-Verlag, 1988 Google Scholar
- [Adrian, 92]Adrian, R.J.: 1991, ‘Particle-Imaging Techniques for Experimental Fluid Mechanics', Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech., 23, 261–304 Google Scholar
- [Gharib and Willert, 88]Gharib, M., Willert, C.: 1988, ‘Particle Tracing Revisited', Proceedings, 1st National Fluid Dynamics Congress, Cincinnati/Ohio, AIAA-88-3776-CP Google Scholar
- [Hering et al., 95b]Hering, F., Wierzimok, D. and Jähne, B.: 1995, ‘Particle Tracking and its Application in the Investigation of Turbulence beneath Water Waves', submitted to Experiments in Fluids, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Google Scholar
- [Hering et al., 95a]Hering, F., Merle, M., Wierzimok, D., Jähne, B.: 1995, ‘A Robust Technique for Tracking Particles over Long ImageGoogle Scholar
- [Hering et al.,94]Hering, F., Wierzimok, D., Melville, W.K., Jähne, B.: 1994, ‘Combined Wave and Flow Field Visualization for the Investigation of Short-Wave/Long-Wave Interaction', Proceedings, Air-Sea Interface Symposium, Marseille 24–30. June, to be published Google Scholar
- [Hesselink, 88]Hesselink, L.: 1988, ‘Digital image processing in flow visualization', Ann. Rev. Fluid Mech, 20, 421–485 Google Scholar
- [Jähne, 93]Jähne, B.: 1993, ‘Digital Image Processing', Concepts, Algorithms and Scientific Applications, 2nd edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin Google Scholar
- [Wierzimok and Hering, 93]Wierzimok, D., Hering, F.: 1993, ‘Quantitative Imaging of Transport in Fluids with Digital Particle Tracking Velocimetry', Imaging in Transport Processes, Begell House, 297–308, 1993 Google Scholar