Fast meldable priority queues
We present priority queues that support the operations Find-Min, Insert, MakeQueue and Meld in worst case time O(1) and Delete and DeleteMin in worst case time O(log n). They can be implemented on the pointer machine and require linear space. The time bounds are optimal for all implementations where Meld takes worst case time o(n).
To our knowledge this is the first priority queue implementation that supports Meld in worst case constant time and DeleteMin in logarithmic time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Svante Carlsson, Patricio V. Poblete, and J. Ian Munro. An implicit binomial queue with constant insertion time. In Proc. 1st Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory (SWAT), volume 318 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 1–13. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.Paul F. Dietz and Rajeev Raman. A constant update time finger search tree. In Advances in Computing and Information — ICCI '90, volume 468 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 100–109. Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.Michael L. Fredman, Robert Sedgewick, Daniel D. Sleator, and Robert E. Tarjan. The pairing heap: A new form of self-adjusting heap. Algorithmica, 1:111–129, 1986.Google Scholar
- 8.Michael L. Fredman and Robert Endre Tarjan. Fibonacci heaps and their uses in improved network optimization algorithms. In Proc. 25rd Ann. Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pages 338–346, 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.Leo J. Guibas, Edward M. McCreight, Michael F. Plass, and Janet R. Roberts. A new representation for linear lists. In Proc. 9thAnn. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing (STOC), pages 49–60, 1977.Google Scholar
- 10.Peter Høyer. A general technique for implementation of efficient priority queues. Technical Report IMADA-94-33, Odense University, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.Robert Endre Tarjan. Amortized computational complexity. SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods, 6:306–318, 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.Jan van Leeuwen. The composition of fast priority queues. Technical Report RUU-CS-78-5, Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, 1978.Google Scholar
- 14.J. W. J. Williams. Algorithm 232: Heapsort. Communications of the ACM, 7(6):347–348, 1964.Google Scholar