Algebraic proof assistants in HOL
We explore several ways to formalize the algebraic laws of CSP-like languages in HOL. The intent of the paper is to show how HOL can be tailored to acting as a proof assistant. The emphasis is therefore on the consequences of various choices to be made during the formalization for writing tactics. We end up with a proof assistant that allows a user to make steps of the granularity of an algebraic law. It is not the purpose of this paper to show in HOL that the algebraic laws of some CSP-like language are sound; the purpose is to show how HOL can be used to apply the algebraic laws and act as a rewrite system.
KeywordsAlgebraic Approach Parallel Composition Proof Assistant High Order Logic Internal Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BG93]M.A. Bezem and J.F. Groote. A formal verification of the alternating bit protocol in the calculus of constructions. Technical Report 88, Logic Group Preprint Series, Utrecht University, March 1993.Google Scholar
- [BG90]G. Birtwistle and B. Graham. Verifying SECD in HOL. In Proceedings of the IFIP TC10/WG10.5 Summer School on Formal Methods for VLSI Design, North Holland, 1990.Google Scholar
- [BM88]Robert S. Boyer and J Strother Moore. A Computational Logic Handbook. Academic Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- [C91]A.J. Camilleri. A Higher Order Logic Mechanization of the CSP Failure-Divergence Semantics. In Proceedings of the 4th Banff Higher Order Workshop, G. Birtwistle (ed.), Workshops in Computing Series, Springer Verlag, 1991, pp. 123–150.Google Scholar
- [GM93]M.J.C. Gordon en T.F. Melham. Introduction to HOL. Cambridge University Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- [HRS90]M. Heisel, W. Reif and W. Stephan, Tactical Theorem Proving in Program Verification, In: Conference on Automated Deduction, Siekmann (ed), LNCS 449, Spinger Verlag, 1990, pp. 117–131.Google Scholar
- [H89]Warren A. Hunt, Jr, Microprocessor Design Verification. Journal of Automated Reasoning, Vol 5, Nr 4, December 1989, pp. 429–460.Google Scholar
- [JU93]M.B. Josephs and J.T. Udding, An Overview of DI Algebra. In: Proc. Hawaii International Conf. System Sciences, T.N. Mudge and V. Milutinovic and L. Hunter (eds), Vol. I, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1993, pp. 329–338.Google Scholar
- [L94]P. G. Lucassen. A Denotational Model and Composition Theorems for a Calculus of Delay-Insensitive Specifications. PhD thesis, Dept. of C.S., Univ. of Groningen, The Netherlands, May 1994.Google Scholar
- [N92]M. Nesi. A Formalization of the Process Algebra CCS in Higher Order Logic. Technical Report 278, University of Cambrigde Computer Laboratory, December 1992.Google Scholar
- [S94]M.P.A. Sellink. Verifying Process Algebra Proofs in Type Theory, In: Proceedings of Workshop in Semantics of Specification Languages, D.J. Andrews, J.F. Groote and C.A. Middelburg (eds), October 1993, Utrecht, Springer Verlag, 1994, pp. 315–339.Google Scholar