Fast exponentation in cryptography
We consider the problem of minimizing the number of multiplications in computing f(x)=xn, where n is an integer and x is an element of any ring. We present new methods which reduce the average number of multiplications comparing with well-known methods, such as the binary method and the q-ary method. We do not compare our approach with algorithms based on addition chains since our approach is intended for cryptosystems with large exponent n and the complexity of constructing the optimal addition chain for such n is too high. We consider the binary representation for the number n and simplify exponentiation by applying ideas close to ideas exploited in data compression. Asymptotical efficiency of the new algorithms is estimated and numerical results are given.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. Diffie and M.E. Hellman, New directions in cryptography. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-22, pp.644–654, Nov.,1976.Google Scholar
- R.L. Rivest, A. Shamir and L. Adelman,A method of obtaining digital signatures and public-key cryptosystems, Commun. ACM, vol.21,pp.120–126, Feb.,1978Google Scholar
- D.E. Knuth, Seminumrerical algorithms The Art of Computer Programming, vol.2, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1969.Google Scholar
- J.Ziv and A.Lempel, Compression of individual sequences via variable rate coding. IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, V.24, No 5, Sep., 1978.Google Scholar
- Y.Yacobi,Exponentiating faster with addition chains, Proceedings of Eurocrypt'90.Google Scholar
- I.Bocharova and B.Kudryashov, Fast exponentiation based on Lempel-Ziv algorithm, In Proceedings on the 6th joint Swedish-Russian International Workshop on Information Theory, August, 1992, pp.259–263Google Scholar
- T.M.Cover and J.A.Thomas, Elements of information theory. New York: Wiley, 1991.Google Scholar
- F. Jelinek and K.S.Schneider, On variable-length-to-block coding, The structural and distance properties of punctured convolutional codes, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, V.18, No 6, Nov., 1982.Google Scholar