Dictionary look-up with small errors
Let W be a set of n binary strings of length m each. We are interested in designing data structures for W that can answer d-queries quickly, that is, given a binary string α, decide whether there is any member of W within Hamming distance d of α. This problem, originally raised by Minsky and Papert [MP], remains a challenge in data structure design. In this paper, we make an initial effort towards a theoretical study of the small d case. Our main result is a data structure that achieves O(m log log n) query time with O(nm log m) space for the d = 1 case.
KeywordsBinary String Query Time Input String Approximate String Match Exact Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DHLNP]D. Dolev, Y. Harari, N. Linial, N. Nisan, and M. Pamas, Neighborhood preserving hashing and approximate queries, Proceedings of Fifth ACM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1994.Google Scholar
- [DHP]D. Dolev, Y. Harari and M. Parnas, Finding the neighborhood of a query in a dictionary, Proceedings of Second Israel Symposium on Theory of Computing and Systems, 1993.Google Scholar
- [GP]Z. Galil and K. Park, An improved algorithm for approximate string matchng, SIAM J. on Computing 19 (1990), 989–999.Google Scholar
- [GPY]D. Greene, M. Parnas and F. Yao, Multi-index hashing for information retrieval, Proceedings of 1994 IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, November 1994, 722–731.Google Scholar
- [MW]U. Manber and S. Wu, An algorithm for approximate membership checking with application to password security, Information Processing Lettters 50 (1994), 191–197.Google Scholar
- [MP]M. Minsky and S. Papert, Perceptrons, MIT Press, 1969.Google Scholar
- [TU]J. Tarhio and E. Ukkonen, Approximate Boyer-Moore string matching, Report A-1990-3, Department of Computer Science, Univ. of Helsinki, March 1990.Google Scholar
- [U]E. Ukkonen, Finding approximate patterns in strings, J. Algorithms 6 (1985), 132–137.Google Scholar
- [Y]A. Yao, Should tables be sorted?, Journal ACM 28 (1981), 615–628.Google Scholar