An optoelectronic 3-D Field Programmable Gate Array
Traditional Field-Programmable Gate Arrays suffer from a lack of routing resources when implementing complex logic designs. This paper proposes two possible improvements to the FPGA structure that could alleviate these problems. We suggest extending the FPGA class to 3-D architectures. The 3-D architectures could be constructed of a stack of optically interconnected 2-D planes. Furthermore, we suggest a hierarchical distribution of routing resources that closely matches the wire length distributions of the intended class of applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Borriello, C. Ebeling, and S. Hauck. Triptych: An FPGA architecture with integrated logic and routing. In J. Savage T. Knight, editor, Advanced Research in VLSI and Parallel Systems, pages 26–43. The MIT Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.B. S. Landman and R. L. Russo. On a pin versus block relationship for partitions of logic graphs. IEEE Trans on Computers, C-20:1469–1479, 1971.Google Scholar
- 3.W. E. Donath. Wire length distribution for placements of computer logic. IBM J. Res. D., 25:152–155, 1981.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Feuer. Connectivity of random logic. In Proceedings of the workshop on largescale networks and systems, pages 7–11. IEEE 1980 Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1981.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Van Marck and J. Van Campenhout. Modeling and evaluating optoelectronic designs. In R. T. Chen and J. A. Neff, editors, Optoelectronics II, pages 2153:307-314. Proceedings of the SPIE, 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.R. C. Eden. Capabilities of normal metal electrical interconnections for 3-D MCM electronic packaging. In R. T. Chen and J. A. Neff, editors, Optoelectronics II, pages 2153:132–145. Proceedings of the SPIE, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Xilinx Inc. The Programmable Logic Data Book, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Dhoedt, P. De Dobbelaere, J. Blondelle, P. Van Daele, P. Demeester, H. Neefs, J. Van Campenhout, and R. Baets. Arrays of light emitting diodes with integrated diffractive microlenses for board-to-board optical interconnect applications: design, modelling and experimentel assessment. Accepted for publication in CLEO'94 technical digest, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.S. D. Brown, R. J. Francis, J. Rose, and Z. G. Vranesic. Field-Programmable Gate Arrays. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1992.~Google Scholar